Whats Going On?

100jamesX

• Members

Hows everybody doing? What have you guys been working on, Hows the Singing coming along?

as for me.. I've taken a little short break .. Workin' Out & Dancing. Less practice on singing, i'm taking more of a fun approach to it. Finding out its more enjoyable then forcing my self.

I want to sing "Hey Soul Sister" but I'm getting stuck with the intro on all those "hey hey heys".. I tense my throat for no reason so it make my sound come out very strained :facepalm:

• Members

Me, I'm just working on songs that I think suit my voice well everyday. I'm having a problem, I think, with keeping an "open throat" while singing and breathing.. I'm also having a problem with singing with a constant flow of air, since whenever I change from one note to another, my breath sort of stops in those transitions. :confused: I don't really know how to tackle that problem, so I'm just kind of working on making my transition from note to note smoother and less staccato (?) Hopefully my voice teacher can help me more with that..

I also just realized that for a long time now I've been inhaling only through my mouth, lol. Once I started breathing through both mouth AND nose, I found that I have more breath! :p

• Members

Right now I'm practicing "Blue Spanish Eyes" by Englebert Humperdink.

Awesome song! I am working on Quando, Quando, Quando by request from my guitar player! Never knew any Humperdink before but now I know the man can sing!

All else is the same for me, lots of work in the Summer since it's the hight of my daytime work, Golf!

Playing music as much as I can with my work schedule, not as much as I want but fortunetly not because of lack of venue requests but because my work calendar is so full! I think people finally realized the world didn't end and that they belong to private Clubs with pools, golf, etc. :)

Rod

• Members

Practicing keys for Billie Jean and doing a whole bunch of marketing/promoting stuff now that the new band is finally gig-ready.

Dude we are doing the Cornell version of it and it amazes me how well received the song still is! Full band must kill!

Rod

• Members

Dude we are doing the Cornell version of it and it amazes me how well received the song still is! Full band must kill!

Rod

I'll let you know when we play it :-)

The guitar player sings it and he has a killer voice... (trained voice major)

• Moderators

Hey James, what's up boi?

'Hey Soul Sister' might be hard song, the singer from Train has a pretty high voice. Even though he doesn't necessary sing uber-high, the 'tessitura' or the majority of notes are placed quite high. You gotta make sure you warm-up properly too. Right now I'm seeing a new voice teacher and I'm starting to make some progress. I managed to get pass my F# break after one lesson. lol. Its still quite difficult though, I can sing up to A4 in full voice now, but its still very new to me. Another thing, I realized that one of the main things to help the higher range is to open your throat more. But you have to do this WITHOUT tensing or depressing the root of the tongue. Its done by lifting the soft palette, which isn't always easy if you aren't use to it.

• Members

Good idea for a thread.

Well, I hope everyone is doing good despite all of the crap that's flung our way be it weather, the economy, writer's block...etc.

My music computer is still sitting there staring at me wondering when it's gonna get fixed so I can get back to recording! DAMMIT!

• Members

Hey James, what's up boi?

'Hey Soul Sister' might be hard song, the singer from Train has a pretty high voice. Even though he doesn't necessary sing uber-high, the 'tessitura' or the majority of notes are placed quite high. You gotta make sure you warm-up properly too. Right now I'm seeing a new voice teacher and I'm starting to make some progress. I managed to get pass my F# break after one lesson. lol. Its still quite difficult though, I can sing up to A4 in full voice now, but its still very new to me. Another thing, I realized that one of the main things to help the higher range is to open your throat more. But you have to do this WITHOUT tensing or depressing the root of the tongue. Its done by lifting the soft palette, which isn't always easy if you aren't use to it.

Its not that its too high.. I just have a very bad habit of flexing my swallowing muscles

Glad to hear from yah. Seems like you been making some great progress :thu:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Its not that its too high.. I just have a very bad habit of flexing my swallowing muscles

Glad to hear from yah. Seems like you been making some great progress
:thu:

I'm making progress but I have to change my aspect of singing and stop doing things like forcing my voice, etc.

As for those swallowing muscles, you have to inspect your larynx/voicebox as you are singing. If the swallowing muscles are involved, then I suspect that your larynx may be shooting upwards, meaning high larynx, which isn't healthy for singing. The larynx needs to be fairly stable. Recently I've been practicing a yawning/vacuum inhalation breath to help open the throat more, which helps to lower the larynx too. Maybe you could try it.

• Moderators

Waiting to reapply to the singing school. I didn't get in the first time. So waiting now on lessons from other teachers, hoping I can improve enough to get on the waiting list. And then hoping someone drops off so I can join the course.

Cool. Singing school? What kind of school is that? Do you mean some sort of music conservatory?

What type of singing program are you trying to get into?

• Moderators

Had 2nd last practice before our first gig yesterday - went well.. we also got band tshirts done and a photoshoot yesterday - busy band day.

That's great stuff Mikey. Keep us posted.

• Members

Cool. Singing school? What kind of school is that? Do you mean some sort of music conservatory?

What type of singing program are you trying to get into?

Oh no it's not a music conservatory. It's a Complete Vocal Technique course. A one year course where you learn singing techniques amongst other related stuff. I don't think it's big in the States.

• Members

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress

added last week, the dialect is horrible (sounds like he has a speech impediment) but what a voice.

It mostly sounds above average for now but the falsetto flips are weak so I do them full voice ~ gonna work on that.

Starting our annual 3 month summer tour Thursday. Our girl sings most of the summer (it's a shorter 90 minuete artist set) so I almost never sing until we get to September~ by then my conditioning is gone and it's back to the 4 hour sets again (Enter Sandman, Anyway You Want It, Tom Sawyer yadayadayada....). Most of you would suggest to just sing on my own throughout the day a few times a week to stay conditioned, but it's not that simple when you travel. We're in confined spaces most of the time (but not always) and I'm very loud .... when we get back I usually spend a week (3 or 4 hours a day) reviewing originals and go do a couple of Nashville writer's nights...puts me about 90% back to where I left off.

• Moderators

Oh no it's not a music conservatory. It's a Complete Vocal Technique course. A one year course where you learn singing techniques amongst other related stuff. I don't think it's big in the States.

I just watched some videos that talk about CVT. It seems kinda weird to me. lol..

How long has this technique been around?

Archived