I stopped thinking about placement, and now I'm singing better than ever?

• Members

Hey,

so for the whole last year, after I learned to breathe properly, I was learning placement. I tried every known technique know to learn it - chest/mix/head, twang, singing into soft palate, singing in the mask, forward placement etc etc... and all that thinking didn't helped me at all.

So few days ago I decided to trash all that thinking about placement, stop thinking about it all together, and concentrate only on proper breathing.

I must point out that I sing mostly popular music, like rock.

After I stopped thinking about placement/resonance, and concentrating only on good diaphragmic breathing, I made more success then with any of placement techniques. It gave me freedom in singing that I didn't have before.

So is there a chance that learning placement/resonance can be disadvantage. Can it somehow stop you from doing it all naturally with proper breathing.

Or maybe if you sing styles like rocks, singing into the mask and similar concepts don't go. I will mention singers like: Chris Cornell, Mike Patton (Faith No More), early U2 stuff ... I sing their songs better when I don't think about placement at all, only think about breathing. If I try to sing it with mask placement, or any similar, it will stop me from singing that notes full and clear.

Thoughts?

• Members

I concentrate on nothing when I sing in ways that suit my voice (the way it is now, not the way I WANT it to sound though)...and it sounds alright. People seem to like it. lol. I just concentrate on the song itself, how it feels, and how I sound in general...

When I make the effort to concentrate on the more technical aspects, I don't sound as good I think...

• Members

There's a certain point when one should forget technique and just FEEL the song. What does the song call for, what suits it best? IMO, if your vocal training is good and your technique is good, then this eventually enables you to forget about what you've been taught and just automatically do it...muscle memory, breathing, resonance, etc.

Archived