Oasis songs voice range?

Vitaly

• Members

Hi All! I'm new to the forum and a vocal newbie. Just recently found it's such a fun to sing - got inspired by britpop like Oasis :-) My question would be: what's the voice range of Oasis songs (the ones performed by Liam)? In particular of those songs:

Songbird

Wonderwall

Live Forever

Fade Away

Rock N Roll Star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmBvdIIQXYU

According to http://musicnotes.com/ they are all in 4th-5th octaves range (1st-2nd classic octaves). Is this true?? Such a high range for male's voice? No wonder Liam's voice has worsened so much after just 2 years of singing...

• Moderators

The vocal range of 'Don't look back in anger' is G3 to A4, which is an octave plus 2 semitones.

The highest note is A4 on the word 'Don't look back in anger'

The sheet music is written in a different octave. A lot of guitar scores are written in the upper octave, while vocal scores are written in the lower octave.

For example the middle C's (C4) being sung throughout the prechorus are actually the C note in between the treble and bass staves.

And most of Oasis' songs are generally in this vocal range.

• Members

Right... that's better, it sounds promising to me, as this means after transposing the songs 3-4 semitones down I should be able to sing them :-) E4 is about my max comfort limit... Many thanks guys!

BTW can anyone suggest any good popular songs that are in D2-E4 range?

• Members

That's a rather exotic range you're choosing.

'Bobby brown' by Frank Zappa is C2 - C4 or something.

'Where do the children play' by Cat Stevens is D2 - D4 or E4.

You need to accept the fact that most pop and rock is above G3.

• Members

That's a rather exotic range you're choosing.

'Bobby brown' by Frank Zappa is C2 - C4 or something.

'Where do the children play' by Cat Stevens is D2 - D4 or E4.

You need to accept the fact that most pop and rock is above G3.

...so if i'm to sing pop/rock i NEED to hit as high as G4?

• Members

...so if i'm to sing pop/rock i NEED to hit as high as G4?

Nope, that's not true.

It's almost like saying you can't sing rock unless you hit Chris Cornell's range or some crap like that.

If you can't sing the songs in the original key F it, and transpose the bitch a couple of half steps down...

When you can sing the high notes in "your" sweet spot then you can do it. -It doesn't have to be as per the original.

Only purists think like that.

• Members

Transposed Live Forever 3 semitones down and was able to hit the notes! such a fun!! And still it sounds not bad (the song I mean)! Cool. Can anyone maybe suggest a site where I can check songs' range?

What's the highest note of Bob Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door and Duran Duran's Come Undone? REM's Losing My Religion? Sorry :-) just can't be certain on octaves/notes at the mo. Many thanks!!

• Members

yeah I know... :-(

I can hear and sing notes however seem to have trouble correlating them to octaves I know it's weird... For instance when transposing a song 3 semitones down the singer's voice starts to sound very "low" to my ear, though it's still high (i.e. 1st octave)... Something with my ears I guess...

• Members

To be honest, wonderwall in any other key I would never advise. Super popular songs just seem weird when in a different key. People won't realize why they don't like it, and end up blaming it on the performer. I recommend using the same key or at most a half step either direction but don't suggest it. When dicking around though/practicing transpose away. Or if it's not as popular.

• Members

another thing i noticed: when transposing an original down it's more difficult to stay in tune because the original singer's vocal is playing in your head, not the transposed one. it becomes a little messy in your head: original vocal sort of mixes with song's new key. i guess i need to listen to the transposed vocal only - to lock it in my head... brr things get complicated...

• Members

Super popular songs just seem weird when in a different key. People won't realize why they don't like it, and end up blaming it on the performer. I recommend using the same key or at most a half step either direction but don't suggest it. When dicking around though/practicing transpose away. Or if it's not as popular.

+1 (sorta) I think some songs you can get away with it but other songs not. Not sure what it is.

In my last band we did Surrender by Cheap Trick for a while. When I joined them they did *everything* tuned down a half step because their last singer's range was pretty low. It was weird for me at first (not that my range is great but I try to do everything in the original key if possible).

I had to insist that we do Surrender in the original key cause it just did not sound right down a half step.

• Members

+1 (sorta) I think some songs you can get away with it but other songs not. Not sure what it is.

In my last band we did Surrender by Cheap Trick for a while. When I joined them they did *everything* tuned down a half step because their last singer's range was pretty low. It was weird for me at first (not that my range is great but I try to do everything in the original key if possible).

I had to insist that we do Surrender in the original key cause it just did not sound right down a half step.

:thu::thu:

Yea, for the most part I like to do things in the original key or move on to a different song.

Klaus Meine does 'No One Like You' in G# live , but I've heard him also do it in A, it's hard to imagine, but that 1/2 step makes a big diff in the overall sound of the song, I can do either key, but is sounds so much better in G# than A......:idk:

Archived