Yelling without yelling

MephistoE

• Members

I've seen several people talking about sounding like your yelling, without actually yelling. I can't seem to figure this out... It doesn't hurt while I sing but then I start to realize I'm losing control of my notes (probably because now I'm neck singing after trying it) and I get very frustrated. Tips/advice? Think pop-punk yelling.

• Members

I’d love to learn how to do this too. I can’t yell at all when trying to sing…I either yell-talk, and then I’m either shrill and high pitched or lower and strong but it’s not what I want to sing like…or I just can’t yell. At all. It’s very sad. You understand. Lol.

• Members

I'm not completely sure I follow exactly what you mean. Are you referring to that Goldfinger Bad Religion conquer the world type of yell. or more like more gritty Rise Against type of yell?

• Members

Sound cloud never works for me... :/

But like A Day To Remember, Four Year Strong, etc...

Almost any band with "punk" somewhere in their name gets this grit in their voice when they go to choruses (usually).

Just to clarify I'm not talking about screaming ( I can do that without hurting myself.)

But when I try to sing these genres, I can't seem to get the energy/grit/edge in my voice without regretting in 5-10 minutes later.

• Members

I'd suggest to check out stuff by Jaime Vendera. What I've picked up is that you use lot's of support downwards and project the sound up and forward. For getting good volume experiment with head resonance, mouth positioning and thoungue position. You don't have to do it loud, it's doable silent.

• Members

I'd suggest to check out stuff by Jaime Vendera. What I've picked up is that you use lot's of support downwards and project the sound up and forward. For getting good volume experiment with head resonance, mouth positioning and thoungue position. You don't have to do it loud, it's doable silent.

+1

He just came out with a new screaming/yelling disk bty

http://www.screaminglessons.com/

• Members

I know, I was probably one of the first who tried the program, and if you look at this page, I'm the first testimonial on the right side...
:)

Ha, that's cool. I went ahead and got this is as well...it was $20 with the Vendera discount, so why not? I don't really want to scream sing, but letting out a brutal scream from time to time would be pretty cool, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It's very hard to explain

you can reference this for me http://www.youtube.com/user/JPAULMUSIC#p/a/u/1/w5FXdAfwX8k

It's kind of a resonance between the soft palette and the front lobe of your head and probably differs a little for everyone.....the air (notes) come up and ricochet off the back of your throat and vibrate into your head.

Doesn't hurt at all....and it sounds totally wrong in person (or in my bandmates' IEM , lol). I can do it for hours ... everyday.

Works better for me in a Lit or Greenday context.

• Members

It's very hard to explain

you can reference this for me

It's kind of a resonance between the soft palette and the front lobe of your head and probably differs a little for everyone.....the air (notes) come up and ricochet off the back of your throat and vibrate into your head.

Doesn't hurt at all....and it sounds totally wrong in person (or in my bandmates' IEM , lol). I can do it for hours ... everyday.

Works better for me in a Lit or Greenday context.

I can do that also. Just make sure you aren't making your voice rasp from pushing hard, because that is what damages your voice. A little bit here and there won't matter, but repeatedly doing it takes a toll.

Archived