I did it!

• Members

Been 7 days now, no cigarettes! Obviously there's still a long way to go, but that's it for me...done. The smell makes we wanna vomit now....not to mention just in a week, the difference in my voice. The rasp is still there, thank baby jesus, but I have "control" over it now, lol. Can't wait to see what happens in the weeks to come. Just got a gig booked on Fremont St. the second weekend of June, so I should be in really good shape by then. Just thought I'd share.

• Members

YAY!!! Hey, we’re twins, cause I too have stopped. I forgot to start a whole new thread about it, but it’s been 3 or so weeks since my last one. WOOOO! I’m doing ok.

We can support each other if ya like. If you feel the urges, PM me and I’ll respond with sage advice and words of wisdom. Lol.

• Members

You know…you may not want to hear this, but in my life I’ve quit smoking 3 times. I first smoked only about 5-10 a day when I was 18-19-ish. I quit after a year. I didn’t touch a cig for 2 years and then suddenly started again. Had that “urge” and didn’t expect to continue smoking for the next 7 or so years. *groan* A pack or more a day (30+). I quit then for 5 years and then…sort of half started again early last year, but nowhere near as much. I noticed I was increasing the number per day and wanted them more, so I finally quit, as I said, 3 weeks ago or thereabouts.

But yeah, I still think about it…it’s so stupid. It’s all just emotional associations. It’s not physical. It’s not even really cravings…it’s just I got used to associating having one when walking to and from work…then that association spread to walking anywhere and I felt painfully bored and uncomfortable if I had to walk anywhere and I couldn’t smoke. It was controlling me again, and I REFUSE to be controlled by an idiot STICK of ASH and CHEMICALS! *defiant* lol

• Members

Yeah…I THINK (for me anyway) when you really do quit, you feel a bit different when it’s gonna be a long term (or permanent) quitting.

I personally feel lighter inside…both physically and emotionally. Like it’s easier to run for a bus, etc, and it’s a weight off my shoulders to not be controlled by something that’s terrible for me.

Yeah…it is ALL about getting past those associations. I got depressed, and felt deprived, when I quit the last time…the big time (5 years quit)…but that passed. I mostly missed my indulgent ones at night while relaxing and watching TV…I still kind of miss it, but then when you actually HAVE it, it’s not good. In order to get that “enjoyment” from cigarettes, you need to actually BE a proper smoker. And then of course you have all the associated problems. The health problems, the wastage of money…the being controlled by a substance…the stink-worthy hair and clothes…that constant back-of-your-mind pressure to one day quit...

And then when you DON’T smoke (YAY!), you miss the cigs sometimes, but you can’t go back. Unless you actually properly begin smoking again as a smoker. Cause it’ll just make you feel sick if you have one…blegh.

• Members

I've quit for almost 2 years now. I was smoking about 3/4 pack a day and One day I just said I think I'm going to quit tomorrow and that's what i did. I read somewhere that 90% of people who quit long term did it cold turkey, so maybe it's true maybe it isn't but I did it and enjoy not having the extra expense. I noticed right away though that my endurance was exceptionally improved... physically that is. my voice just didn't feel the same for a little while though. Probably due to my lungs clearing out or something. One of the biggest differences I noticed was patience. I just didn't get pissed off as much any more. I was constantly trying schedule my day around smoking just trying to regulate the amount of nic in my system without realizing it. So good luck if you made it a week already that's a huge step forward.

• Members

Yeah! You DO kind of schedule your day around it a bit, when you smoke. How dumb is that, eh!? I used to, if I was just leaving work and saw my bus waiting there, purposefully miss it just so I could have my post-work cigarette. And then of course once the cig is gone, and you're left sitting there for 20 minutes for the next bus, you're like WHY DID I DO THAT!? I would've been halfway home by now! Stupid...

• Members

Been 7 days now, no cigarettes! Obviously there's still a long way to go, but that's it for me...done. The smell makes we wanna vomit now....not to mention just in a week, the difference in my voice. The rasp is still there, thank baby jesus, but I have "control" over it now, lol. Can't wait to see what happens in the weeks to come. Just got a gig booked on Fremont St. the second weekend of June, so I should be in really good shape by then. Just thought I'd share.

Congrats! Stay strong...

• Members

This is what defines you as a person, Derek - what you actually DO rather than THINK about doing.

I don't need to wish you happiness or good luck, since you'll find it on your own now :thu:

And yes, it will be a fun experiment to put away the cash you'd normally spend on cigarettes, and see what it amounts to in time.

• Members

I'm proud dude. I know lots of people who struggle with smoking... It's crazy how many singers smoke! (Even ones being classically trained...). I remember sitting down with a buddy and we figured out how much he spent a year in cigarettes... When he realized he could have replaced his entire drum set twice he quit haha.

• Members

It’s almost $5,000 a year I used to spend! On nothing! How disgusting.

And yes, voice lessons. For sure. *hitting self in the head*

From what I have heard thus far I don't think you would need voice lessons, but you should be playing out and getting paid for the songs you sing/write.Especially if you can play guitar and sing at the same time. There is money to be had there.

Archived