I have a question...

beach1

• Members

Someone told me that my singing in this, well that my tone was kind of "wavey" and I needed better control. I'm guessing that by tone he was referring to my pitch and that I needed to stay more on pitch for some of my notes? :

Erasure - In My Arms

http://www.box.net/shared/y33vsd077o

So I tried to sing this with that in mind, and I wanted to know if you think my singing was better in this Backstreet Boys song with regard to that.

Backstreet Boys - No One Else Comes Close

http://www.box.net/shared/65rxfejef7

Edit//Oh wait, I just asked him right now and he said that he was talking about my vibrato and that my vibrato didn't sound like it had enough control. Uh, so I guess what I want to know is does the vibrato sound more controlled or improved somehow in the Backstreet Boys song than in the Erasure one?

Updated//Sang the Backstreet Boys song again and wondering if the vibrato is any better:

Backstreet Boys - No One Else Comes Close (second version)

http://www.box.net/shared/hznbmm26nx

• Moderators

Are you manually doing the vibrato? Or is it automatic?

Btw, your singing is okay, your tone's not bad. But why do you always "gliss" (sliding) your notes. To be honest, it sounds alright, but it gets kinda annoying after a while. :\

• Members

Hmm, not sure.. I know sometimes it seems automatic, but maybe sometimes I do it manually...

Can you explain what exactly you mean by glissing/sliding my notes? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it. (Maybe tell me different times in the songs where I do it?)

Oh wait, I think I kinda know what you mean by sliding my notes. I guess it's a style thing I like to do.. Am I doing it too much? :p

• Moderators

Hmm, not sure.. I know sometimes it seems automatic, but maybe sometimes I do it manually...

Can you explain what exactly you mean by glissing/sliding my notes? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it. (Maybe tell me different times in the songs where I do it?)

Oh wait, I think I kinda know what you mean by sliding my notes. I guess it's a style thing I like to do.. Am I doing it too much?
:p

Yeah, you're kinda doing it too much. :p

Example: No one else comes CLOSE (@0:44)

Some years ago I use to do that too. I use to gliss a lot of my notes. My friend, who influenced me a lot with music, mentioned it to me. Sliding notes could be a stylistic thing, but at the same can be used to 'cover up' vocal issues, such as difficulty in legato singing and vocal attack. And sometimes used to compensate for difficulty in technique. I'll still do it occasionally though, but for the most part I don't.

• Members

Yeah, you're kinda doing it too much.
Example: No one else comes CLOSE (@0:44)

Some years ago I use to do that too. I use to gliss a lot of my notes. My friend, who influenced me a lot with music, mentioned it to me. Sliding notes could be a stylistic thing, but at the same can be used to 'cover up' vocal issues, such as difficulty in legato singing and vocal attack. And sometimes used to compensate for difficulty in technique. I'll still do it occasionally though, but for the most part I don't.

Ohhh, now I see what you mean by that. Yeah, I guess I could lighten up on the glissing. It'll be interesting seeing how I do without as much glissing. Hopefully I'll be able to handle it well.

Thanks for the advice!

• Members

I didn't know it was called "gliss"...I know I do this quite a lot...and for me it's a stylistic thing. Heaps of pop and rock singers do it...you notice the difference when you hear spot on classical or musical type singers NOT do it at all. One of my friends, she cannot "gliss", ever. She just doesn't know how to do it. It's quite funny. She doesn't suit pop music at all.

• Members

Hmmm... I'd always thought a gliss was over a larger interval - like an octave. I'd call this more like a grace note, or a scoop. I agree, though, it's just a little bit overdone. I think you could keep it - but not as often - and make it a little more subtle. Lighter. You're really laying heavy on it sometimes.

Good recordings, Beach1.

• Members

GeetarPlayer: Thanks! Thing is, pop and rnb music (which I'm working at) depends a lot on the gliss or whatever it's called. So I'm not sure how much to lighten up on it. It seems like in most pop and rnb music every line is full of these things.. I guess I'll definitely keep it in mind, especially since like davie said, it can be used to mask weaknesses in singing.

Tburn: Thanks! Gonna ask my voice teacher about it.

• Members

Vibrato should come from…somewhere in the lower throat or something…it feels that way for me anyway. I see people forcing it all the time, from the chest, and majorly using the mouth. Their mouths are just moving out of control to try and manufacture the vibrato that way, but it looks silly and sounds artificial.

• Members

lol. Well, I'll be meeting with my voice teacher in a couple days, so I'll ask him then. Hopefully he'll be able to help me out. It's kind of a rude awakening for me. I thought my vibrato was fine all this time.. :p

• Moderators

I tried singing the Backstreet Boys song again today and I was wondering if my vibrato is improved or not from my first try of it..

Backstreet Boys - No One Else Comes Close (second version)

http://www.box.net/shared/hznbmm26nx

I think the glissing isn't as bad on this new one. But overall, your voice is still shakey. And sounds like you're "holding back" your voice; sounds like you're not projecting your voice efficiently. Also I'm not certain, but I think you might also be taking in too much breath. I heard a line where you breathed then sang 2 short words then breathed again, while the breath sounded forceful, which could be causing the "shakey-ness" That's just what I presumed from the recording.

• Members

I think the glissing isn't as bad on this new one. But overall, your voice is still shakey. And sounds like you're "holding back" your voice; sounds like you're not projecting your voice efficiently. Also I'm not certain, but I think you might also be taking in too much breath. I heard a line where you breathed then sang 2 short words then breathed again, while the breath sounded forceful, which could be causing the "shakey-ness" That's just what I presumed from the recording.

Thanks for the comments. How's my vibrato though? Any improvement there?

By shaky, you mean like that last note of the clip where my note kind of shakes or wavers? I'm wondering if the shakiness in my voice could be because of the fact that I was feeling tired when I sang this clip, since I sang it after practicing singing yesterday for hours. I noticed my singing quality overall seemed to go down after all that practicing..

I'll try to work on the projection.

• Moderators

I think the vibrato seemed slightly better. Seems less forced.

If you're feeling tired then you should take a break. I sometimes get caught up on singing and I'd go on for hours, but its just not healthy to sing non-stop. You can wear out your voice easily, especially if your technique isn't solid enough yet. Sometimes its not even about vocal fatigue, but instead I would get tired physically or emotionally and then just stop singing for a while.

• Moderators

I just realized.. A lot of your vocal stylings seem to be heavily Ayumi-influenced. Am I right? lol

And for some reason, your pronunciation/accent reminds me of some Korean singers.. don't know why.

• Members

I think the vibrato seemed slightly better. Seems less forced.

If you're feeling tired then you should take a break. I sometimes get caught up on singing and I'd go on for hours, but its just not healthy to sing non-stop. You can wear out your voice easily, especially if your technique isn't solid enough yet. Sometimes its not even about vocal fatigue, but instead I would get tired physically or emotionally and then just stop singing for a while.

Yeah, that's what I felt like yesterday after singing for like 2.5-3 hours straight. I felt, either physically or emotionally, just tired and like I couldn't put out the focus and energy that I could overall earlier in the day.

Really?? Ayumi? lol! I guess that makes sense, since she did kind of influence me to start singing and I started trying to sing more seriously after I started listening to her. But I don't know if it's intentional cause she's not really that great a vocalist imo(at least technically), and I don't really want to end up sounding like her, lol.

That's interesting that you think my pronunciation and accent sound Korean, cause well, I am Korean-American! I guess that makes sense too. :p

• Moderators

Yeah, that's what I felt like yesterday after singing for like 2.5-3 hours straight. I felt, either physically or emotionally, just tired and like I couldn't put out the focus and energy that I could overall earlier in the day.

Really?? Ayumi? lol! I guess that makes sense, since she did kind of influence me to start singing and I started trying to sing more seriously after I started listening to her. But I don't know if it's intentional cause she's not really that great a vocalist imo(at least technically), and I don't really want to end up sounding like her, lol.

That's interesting that you think my pronunciation and accent sound Korean, cause well, I am Korean-American! I guess that makes sense too.

Lol. I had a feeling that you were Korean. :lol:

I can recognize the tone in your voice.

And I'm Chinese-Canadian myself.

• Members

Lol. I had a feeling that you were Korean.
:lol:
I can recognize the tone in your voice.

And I'm Chinese-Canadian myself.

Wow, that's pretty cool that you could figure out that I'm Korean from my tone. Someone on another forum thought I was African-American from my tone a little while ago, lol.

Archived