Trying to find my niche....

• Members

So I've always had a pretty broad variety of styles and genres in the music that I've sung, but I'm finding, as I get old, that there are just some genres I don't sing as well as I used to. I could never really rock out (as much as I've always wanted too). I grew up singing Country music, then got into theater in high school, was trained classically in college, and now as an adult find that I like singing the grittier stuff. I'm just not sure what I'm best at and what I should focus on. So I though, perhaps I could post a few songs, in a couple different styles and genres and get your feedback. Here's the first one. It's "I Dreamed A Dream" from Les Miserables. Don't know how many of you are theater buffs, but I fell in love with this song when I was 14. I appreciate your constructive criticism and thoughts! Please ignore the black screen. I had to put the camera down and step away or I would be too loud.

[video=facebook;10150167302901364]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150167302901364&comments

• Moderators

Hey Lisa, welcome back to the forums. Haven't seen you on for quite some time.

Anyway, I'm not able to view your video (and probably others as well) . Maybe you can post it on Youtube.

• Members

Hey Lisa, welcome back to the forums. Haven't seen you on for quite some time.

Anyway, I'm not able to view your video (and probably others as well) . Maybe you can post it on Youtube.

You can't view it? Weird I can. Huh. I'll upload it to youtube. I've been around the forum, mostly on the AMPS forum. There's some pretty hilarious threads over there!

• Moderators

You can't view it? Weird I can. Huh. I'll upload it to youtube. I've been around the forum, mostly on the AMPS forum. There's some pretty hilarious threads over there!

It has something to do with facebook privacy settings. Probably only you and your facebook friends can view it.

• Moderators

THIS is the song that our forum did a cover of! (though our cover is incomplete no thanks to someone.. :rolleyes:)

Anyway, that was pretty good. Too bad it wasn't recorded with higher quality.. would have been a lot better.

Not sure if this is your niche, you'll have to post more clips.

Ultimately the choice in niche is yours. Whether you choose it because you simply enjoy that genre or because your voice complements that genre.

• Members

I love it
:)
I think your voice fits both the style and the song. Haven't heard the original many times but I like what I hear here.

You just say that because she's hot, dude.

The first thing I feel about your singing, Lisa, is that you could benefit from thickening your voice a bit. This song is best sung by an alto or mezzo with a dramatic tone, in my opinion. I can't describe what I mean with thickening your voice, sadly. I often point to Paul Young's version of 'Wherever I lay my hat' to showcase the 'technique' that thickens your voice. :/

Apart from that, your pitch and vibrato are really, really good. Miles better than what most of us here could manage, I'm thinking :p

• Members

The first thing I feel about your singing, Lisa, is that you could benefit from thickening your voice a bit. This song is best sung by an alto or mezzo with a dramatic tone, in my opinion. I can't describe what I mean with thickening your voice, sadly. I often point to Paul Young's version of 'Wherever I lay my hat' to showcase the 'technique' that thickens your voice. :/

Apart from that, your pitch and vibrato are really, really good. Miles better than what most of us here could manage, I'm thinking
:p

How would I know if she was hot,no pic and no video + I refrain from saying I like stuff if I don't - as you said great tone and vibrato,no pitchiness equals thumbs up :)

• Members

Apart from that, your pitch and vibrato are really, really good. Miles better than what most of us here could manage, I'm thinking
:p

I agree with this. I have heard this sung by mezzo's and alto's and I think it sounds better as well. I was a Soprano 1 in high school and my voice has gotten a little deeper as I've aged, and since I'm a smoker. I think i raised the key on this track too from the original. I think it's because I rely on the fact that I can project more when I use my upper registry and when I'm in my lower registry it sounds a little forced.

• Members

The tone of your voice is 100% ok. There's nothing there in the tone that's deficient. I don't see any requirement for "thickening" your voice, it sounds just fine, but the recording quality wasn't the best, although better than many other peoples' attempts. There's some shaky moments there, but that's almost certainly from not enough rehearsal. I've known several professional singers, and just about all they do, day after day after day, is rehearse. If you sing reasonably well, then rehearsing a tune a thousand times will get you in the zone where you'll sing it perfectly. I'm amazed by how hard a pro. singer needs to work on the voice, it's a never ending hard, hard slog.

• Members

Wow, really? I'm totally lazy. Never rehearse. If I feel like singing a song, I just do it on the spot. If I don't know it that well, I try and learn it and then sing it as best I can...I don't have the patience to sit and wait until I learn it perfectly before singing it.

• Members

I agree with the thickening thing...but as far as I understand it (and I don't really, very well), mezzo (lower) sopranos naturally would have a thicker (fuller) voice on this song...and you sound more like a different type of higher soprano...have you ever tried Epinone's songs? On My Own, for instance? Maybe this'd suit you better. My best friend and I had this discussion many years ago...she is a mezzo soprano and was suited to I Dreamed a Dream, whereas me...I am more suited to On My Own...or even one of Cosette's songs...

Loved your voice on "as they tear your hope apart"...that "apart" note...gorgeously low! You didn't lose it or lack power...it added some power actually...a different sounding power...

On your higher notes, you seem to lack a BIT of power...but I can't talk. I have no power on any of my notes!! With your voice, it sounds to me that you just aren't using whatever...method or positioning or type of singing to get that power on the higher notes...you could easily have it, if you changed...something...the way you sing those notes...but how? I have no idea! If I knew, I wouldn't have that issue myself. lol

This is excellent. Really excellent.

• Members

@Lisa. I liked it, and maybe you could use more power but it's neither here nor there for me. I think your voice is fine this way.

@Grace. I can't remember the song you did but your accent (everything's linked these days) was a little less neutral and little more American. You showed, at least to me anyway, a different sound. You seemed to have quite a bit of power, maybe on par with Lisa here. You also seemed to have quite a distinct chest resonance, still well connected to your headier tones.

*Talking to self* I really should find that clip and listen to it again, I liked it!

Archived