My cover of Bruno Mars Grenade

m26uk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Sounds good for the type of sound you have. Not my cup of tea though, but still alright. I'm more of a darker sound type person. I would advise you to put more focus on diaphragmatic breathing and try to sing from deep within. That would help make your sound a lot less weak. Because it really does sound like your vocal focus is coming from the throat, which is never a good thing. Also you tend to go very flat in places, and I noticed the corners of your mouth go very wide. For more pitch control, make the corners of your mouth a little more rounder.

• Members

haha I guess so. I just know that when he hits those spots he goes under the pitch which my vocal coach has drilled in my over and over again to be able to hear. Then again maybe I'm just a "Pitch Nazi" lol And that's probably why I can't stand the new current "pop" music. But I never said it wasn't good. He's very good, just from a technical stand point he needs work. It will give him a better sound, more supported, help him stay on pitch and by not focusing so much on the throat and help prevent sores on his vocal chords which can show up later from using them wrong.

• Members

I guess we have different ideas of *terribly* flat ;-)

Wow, right about that! I'm guessing that Michael Jackson himself would be deemed flat by these standards. (Or Bruno, as the case may be.) But to be fair this style of singing does demand pitch perfect performances--which is why I don't much like it. :rolleyes:

• Members

I never said anything about the style being flat. You can still sing that way and use a better technique and still get the same results. Which is the difference between professionals like MJ and Novice performers. But yes, because of the way the style sounds, it's even more demanding to have good pitch and tone because if it doesn't, it is not pleasing to the ears at all. Example: Bruno Mars during live performance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

thanks guys for your feedback, I appreciate you guys watching my vids and giving me constructive feedback, this song was definitley a tough one for me.. I find bruno mars songs tough. I guess with singing you never stop learning and you guys give me some good tips etc...anyway have a great day and thank you again! :thu:

Archived