Link to my Youtube lesson on how to improve your vocal range with one simple exercise

GJaunz

• Members

Hey everybody,

I just posted a vocal lesson on my youtube channel. It's the exercise that helped me most when it came to expanding my vocal range. The exercise is especially helpful when it comes to being able to sing any note in your range full voice (not falsetto). Feel free to post questions if you have any!

Gianmarc

[video=youtube;jZFFF_EWhF8]

• Members

Thanks a lot Davie! I'm largely self taught, especially when it comes to doing the belting rock n roll stuff, but I learned a great deal by singing in a few choirs in college, especially a men's chorus called the Villanova Singers directed by a really amazing singer/director named Brian Meneely, and a contemporary acapella group called the Villanova Spires where I learned to improvise and arrange harmonies (which I use extensively in my original music- I'm very influenced by Queen). I think I picked up the siren exercise from my wife though! She's a really good! Here's a song we recorded together, it's a cover (singing over a Karaoke track this time :-P) of a Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli song called the Prayer.

[video=youtube;VN0KCtXFpV4]

• Members

Lol, I've read this instruction in numerous places. The problem is how to train our voices to ease off the pressure. It's easy to say but some people are programmed with a lot of pressure and they're so used to it, it's their "normal" so they don't know how to use off the pressure.

• Members

@amx13: No problem, glad you enjoyed it! You've got the right idea with the practice, it definitely takes a lot of repetition to train yourself to pull back on the air pressure and start smoothing out the "break." Good luck!

• Members

@John Benussi: Thanks for the tip man, I'll be sure to post it in there as well.

@jvardon: You're right, depending on singing style, this will come easier to some than others, but I think that as long as the folks who aren't as natural with it are willing to put in the extra practice, they should be able to be successful with it as well.

• Members

@staticsound: Cool man, glad you liked it! I find that when you start getting into those super high notes, the way you form your vowels has a huge impact on pitch. Granted, how you position your mouth as you hold a note can always affect pitch, but when you start getting into that range, simply opening your mouth a bit wider can sometimes make the difference of an entire step! Next time you work on trying to get those really high head tones, try opening up wide and using a short "a" sound when you get up there (the short a as in hat, not as in car). See how high you can get using that vowel sound, then try other more difficult ones. Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

LOL, that's great, and thanks for the complement :-). It's funny, I still need to see that movie, but I have heard the song because one of my students sent me a youtube vid of it. That is a really cool song!

• Members

Thanks a lot man, hmmm baritones... Can you do the Mickey Mouse voice? It sounds silly, but maybe try talking like Mickey Mouse so you can get used to the feel of being in your falsetto range. It won't sound like great singing immediately of course, but it'll at least get you into that register, and you can work on shaping it into a nice singing tone from there.

Archived