Voice Feminization / Vocal Therapy for a Transgender in Transition

DukeOfBoom

• Members

HAHAHAHA. these sorts of questions MAKE my day.

found this on the rob lunte site at http://index2.thevocaliststudio.com/thetvssystem/4518152273:

I have a new student that is approximately an 18 year old girl, trapped in a man’s body. Here is what I have suggested thus far, and yes, she is on estrogen, but the process is pretty slow. Her male voice is actually pretty deep to complicate the issue.

1). We have phonated in semi-occluded phonations as I would with any singing student in an effort to lift the larynx and get out of a “bottom-up”, throaty phonation. Of course that helps…

2). We have identified the optimal pitch range for a woman to speak in vs a man… with the help of her mother. I believe we settled on pitches slight below middle C. My subsequent research has proven that this was a good call… seems to be a focus around 180-220Hz. And additional quote from some of my research on this is interesting to note:

Place your fingers on your throat lightly, feel where the Adam’s Apple is. Swallow, feel how it goes far up, then down. Learning how to shift it upwards and backwards while talking is the key to successful voice feminization

3). I have encouraged him to read allowed in his session on this higher, optimal feminine speaking pitch range. Seems to help.

4). I have addressed the prosodic issues of feminine inflections, (speaking rate, inflection, pauses), which can be a bit unsettling for me to demonstrate, but thats what I have to do. Essentially, speaking like a woman.

at 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Dukeofboom, I see that again you are attempting to make fun of transgender people. I've read some of your past posts that appear rather cruel and sarcastic.

I don't want to be on a forum that has someone like you on it.

I'll now see if I can cancel my registration; if not I simply won't bother with this website again.

i could care less if someone is gay, but this transgender {censored} is bull{censored}. it shouldn't even be legal from a medical and health standpoint. furthermore, when - not if - something goes physically wrong with that person down the line because of the intensivity of these surgical and hormonal procedures, who's going to be paying for this persons medical recovery? My taxes.

i dunno why you're always on my back about this, unless you formerly were JenGirl321 and have an intensely personal stake in this issue.

• Members

"1). We have phonated in semi-occluded phonations as I would with any singing student in an effort to lift the larynx and get out of a “bottom-up”, throaty phonation. Of course that helps…"

Whut the hey - ? I don't even understand this. :confused:

• Members

It's still interesting regardless of the poster's intentions.....but what Duke needs to understand about transgenders is...just like gays...it's not a choice. And then what I found even more interesting is that he thinks the government needs to step in and make it illegal? Because he thinks he is going to end up paying for it? You aren't willing to pay taxes for the health care involved but you are willing to pay taxes to prevent it? That's exactly what happens any time the government steps in. You pay for it one way or another.

• Members

Dukeofboom, I see that again you are attempting to make fun of transgender people. I've read some of your past posts that appear rather cruel and sarcastic.

I don't want to be on a forum that has someone like you on it.

I'll now see if I can cancel my registration; if not I simply won't bother with this website again.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! "You hurt my fee-wings".

• Members

You aren't willing to pay taxes for the health care involved but you are willing to pay taxes to prevent it? That's exactly what happens any time the government steps in. You pay for it one way or another.

Crooked cops. Do they come in any other way? If Id'a been just a little dumber, I coulda joined the force myself.

Nobody likes a monkey on his back: I had three, and they were cramping my style. I was gonna' have to lighten the load.

• Members

weassely: your 'vacation' that you told us about was VERY short. i see you came back for more beatings.

TScript: it is a choice. no one is a girl in trapped in a man's body (and vice versa) unless you're a hermophodite, and then they're not trapped, they're just deformed. they are really messed up in the head for thinking that their "soul" is different than their "body," because it sure as hell ain't a scientific reality. and the procedures and hormonal augmentation that those freaks receive is absurdly dangerous. The FDA regulates medical procedures, and I don't think they should have permitted those operations to be legal because of the de facto risks, and that's not even discussing the moral and psychological aspects.

The Hoss: yes, needles are only the most obvious monkies.

• Members

TScript: it is a choice. no one is a girl in trapped in a man's body (and vice versa) unless you're a hermophodite, and then they're not trapped, they're just deformed. they are really messed up in the head for thinking that their "soul" is different than their "body," because it sure as hell ain't a scientific reality. and the procedures and hormonal augmentation that those freaks receive is absurdly dangerous. The FDA regulates medical procedures, and I don't think they should have permitted those operations to be legal because of the de facto risks, and that's not even discussing the moral and psychological aspects.

How enlightened! I think you're simplifying the experience of transgendered people, who are easily dismissed as "freaks" by those who are unwilling or unable to consider experiences that differ radically from their own.

For the record, you're confusing sex and gender. Sex is a biological category--but one that is not beyond question, as your reference to hermaphrodites suggests. Gender is a psycho-social category, having to do with roles we play in society, how we feel about ourselves, etc. The statement about being trapped in the wrong body is precisely a mismatch between sex and gender. In terms of gender, we all exist somewhere on a continuum between the male & the female, and in some cases a painful conflict arises between one's identiy and one's reproductive organs.

That said, it may be (may, I would stress) that there are better options for treating this condition than surgery. Not for me to say. But it means something that some people suffer enough to make surgery a reasonable option. :eek:

But really, Duke, you're turning out to be our resident homophobe. Do you really want to take this role? You know what they say about those who are too aggressive in their attacks on homosexuality....:idk:

Let it be. Just sing!

• Members

"1). We have phonated in semi-occluded phonations as I would with any singing student in an effort to lift the larynx and get out of a “bottom-up”, throaty phonation. Of course that helps…"

Whut the hey - ? I don't even understand this.
:confused:

I could not figure it out either so I googled semi-occluded phonations (I think it is speech while the lips are nearly closed so little air can flow) and found this article about a singing through a straw exercise: http://www.faqs.org/periodicals/201005/2028275111.html

The straw is the semi-occlusion, it reduces the flow of air. It is an exercise to develop high placement of the voice.

• Members

I could not figure it out either so I googled semi-occluded phonations (I think it is speech while the lips are nearly closed so little air can flow) and found this article about a singing through a straw exercise:
http://www.faqs.org/periodicals/201005/2028275111.html

The straw is the semi-occlusion, it reduces the flow of air. It is an exercise to develop high placement of the voice.

Wow, that was interesting. Thanks! :)

• Members

no, yeahdoit - don't go down that path!!!!!!!! nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke, I would appreciate that you wouldn't bring up this. If discussing training techniques for natural pitch alteration, might be a good discussion on the singing forum. Or, if discussing writing songs from the perspective of a different gender, then it might in the songwriting forum.

Bashing transgendered won't get you any kudos from me. You may have these opinions, but please keep it to yourself. I don't know what you want to achieve, but you are lowering the decorum of this forum.

• Members

I feel bad that a new member is now choosing to leave this great forum because of certain comments and attitudes, especially as these attitudes don't even concern the whole point of being ON this forum (singing)!

I agree with Jersey. Let's just sing, people!! Isn't that why we're here??

PS. Being gay was once considered to be a mental illness. Now it's more widely accepted as just a variation of "normal", whatever normal is. I'm gay and I certainly don't think I'm mentally ill (well, not from THAT anyway, lol). I don't think being transgendered makes you insane or mentally ill or defective in any way. In 20 more years it'll be more widely accepted...so yeah. That's how I feel. Just for the record.

• Members

To think that you're "someone else trapped in the wrong body" IS a mental illness. In fact the DSM IV categorizes it as "dissociative identity disorder" - although it's more commonly referred to as "schizophrenia" or "Multiple personality disorder" by the general public.

Don't feel bad a new member was insulted by me. It's quite a good way to weed out the boners. All he did was ask lots of questions anyway (and post lots of snipes directed at the Duke which he deleted - did that at least 5 times). He didn't contribute anything to enlighten us in regards to either vocal technique or intellectual stimulation.

Besides, I think H20 moccassion and Yeah-I-Do-It-All-Night-Long will agree that this thread helped them understand the topic of semi-occlusion.

• Members

To think that you're "someone else trapped in the wrong body" IS a mental illness. In fact the DSM IV categorizes it as "dissociative identity disorder" - although it's more commonly referred to as "schizophrenia" or "Multiple personality disorder" by the general public.

Don't feel bad a new member was insulted by me. It's quite a good way to weed out the boners. All he did was ask lots of questions anyway (and post lots of snipes directed at the Duke which he deleted - did that at least 5 times). He didn't contribute anything to enlighten us in regards to either vocal technique or intellectual stimulation.

Besides, I think H20 moccassion and Yeah-I-Do-It-All-Night-Long will agree that this thread helped them understand the topic of semi-occlusion.

Well you shouldn't be in such a hurry to insult people. You haven't really discussed vocal technique either than to go "transgendered, har! har! har!"

You think it's your duty to weed out the "boners"? And you are quoting the DSM IV? What is your background as a psychologist to deduce such ideas?

I hope some mod closes this thread in a big way.

Weissey, the anonymity part won't change the Duke's opinion. What can change is his belief is that he is among peers.

Archived