A new way to learn a song

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new way to learn a song

Hello again fellow singer.

I came up with a plan on learning a new song, well no actually I did not, I remember last year I had a lesson with old teacher Mathew and I used to say thing like a heard a story on the internet or I saw a youtube video and he would laugh and sing no no no no no. Well one of these things I mentioned to him was "I did indeed see a youtube video where the guy told you best way to learn a song is to replace the words with bub bub bub that way you will learn the notes/ pitch much better". Again Matthew lathed and said no no no and said if you want to do that just hum the notes like it was a warm up.

But hold on now my last teacher Ben told me to replace the words with done done done to active this, he said it did not matter what kind of vowel or what the consonant was so long as it had an onset and off set of a consonant

Now I remember what CD told me in my last post about how he liked my approach of braking everything down into basics and starting from scratch, quite the opposite to SLM's approach. So any way bearing this in mind I though humming was more basic then Bub Bub Bub. So hear is a recording that I have uploaded as an attachment with this post.

It all sound a bit breathy and airy! is that because of the difficulty of the song or because I am humming it? do not know because funny enough I have not even sang one word of this song yet!
    Attached Files

I think that's a good exercise for you to do. I've also been taught to practice songs on other sounds. Boh..Nah..etc. The idea was to get everything in the right place without worrying about the words.

From your MP3 I notice the following things...

Your timing / rhythm is off.. it's clearly out with the piano melody

Some of the pitch is off, most noticeable when you go for the high parts in the chorus

It doesn't sound like you are managing your breath properly either

It does sound pretty light and airy. I think it's a placement issue. It reminds me a bit of my own lessons that sounded a bit like this when humming. The teacher said it was a placement problem and that I wasn't putting the air into the right place and it needed to come up and forward.

" Imagine your playing a trumpet between the eyes " was the thing that helped me most.

Comment

Humming that was quite a strange experience for me LOL. Been practicing it today on the bub sound with no humming and it fells more normal and not breathless as before. You see the thing is you have to practice the song over and over again and this is where you get tired specially on the higher notes and you loose coordination (like lifting weights in the gum).

So hear is me feeling fresher and I have done just the high bits of the chorus to my own piano on the sound of bub.Please see the attachment

Will have to have another look at that timing rhythm thing from my recoding before. But I am glad that there are others out there that use the humming process too
      Attached Files

Comment

Hear is what I recorded before of the whole lot but this time no humming, just using the bub bub bub effect, so this time a bit more intence as it is now vocal. But I am not breathy and airy on this this time round so it is of a different effect to humming

Dose the rhythm sound any better this time? Do the higher notes in the chourus (C, D5) sound pushed or squeezed, do they sound the correct notes?

Thanks
        N2

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wypanq8aua...81%29.mp3?dl=0

Now a drop box link as it over the sites permitted 2kb

Comment

I'm abroad and can't access it from your Dropbox link, it wants me to install the App and I've no space. Try SoundCloud or I'll be back on my regular Pc in a week or so.
          Last edited by CosmicDolphin; 06-16-2018, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I remember the last time I tried to use soundcloud and they automatically removed all my files and no one would answer why on there forum.
            But I have tried it again.

OK hear is the same bit as above, the bubing to the first part of the song
            https://soundcloud.com/user-826917402/bubing-1

And I have even practiced some full voiced lyrics from the song. Now there are 3 melodies to the song that keep getting repeated with different words. So I have decided to do only one part of each and hear they are

https://soundcloud.com/user-826917402/ver-1

https://soundcloud.com/user-826917402/ver-2

https://soundcloud.com/user-826917402/ver-3

Are you on holiday or something?
            Last edited by New2; 06-16-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Yes I'm on holiday.

I was able to listen now via SoundCloud thanks , I think it's just too high for you at the moment as the pitching is especially off during the chorus.

See if anyone else has an opinion but mine is that you should start trying songs in your current range....not the one you want in the future.

Comment

C, D 5, that's the range of a tenor mate
                http://molempire.com/2011/08/09/13-r...u-might-enjoy/

what would you prefer I work on C3-C4, coz that's not even a range not a range of a bass as he would be expected to go down to C2
                C3-C4 that's just pub scooning and no one is interested in listening to it and will no doubt and up in a life of fooling ones self like SLM

I doubt anyone hear will review this post as I have to say IMHO this forum is BS! ​​
                ​I have found what would look like a good teacher now and I hope she has the ability to guide me through all this otherwise I will jack the whole thing off!
                Last edited by New2; 06-17-2018, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Yes but I'm not a Tenor, and neither are you. I don't care what range of notes I sing as long as they sound good. What is the point of trying to sing high if it sounds awful? You're just setting yourself up for dissappintment...or deluding yourself.

Let us know how it goes with the new teacher, I hope she can put you on the right path.

I haven't done any singing whilst on holiday but I may have a go at recording something once I've got back into the swing of things. It won't be an Adele song though , not really a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicDolphin View Post
                    Yes but I'm not a Tenor,
                    and what am I then?

Comment

Originally posted by New2 View Post
                      C, D 5, that's the range of a tenor mate
                      http://molempire.com/2011/08/09/13-r...u-might-enjoy/

what would you prefer I work on C3-C4, coz that's not even a range not a range of a bass as he would be expected to go down to C2
                      C3-C4 that's just pub scooning and no one is interested in listening to it and will no doubt and up in a life of fooling ones self like SLM

I doubt anyone hear will review this post as I have to say IMHO this forum is BS! ​​
                      ​I have found what would look like a good teacher now and I hope she has the ability to guide me through all this otherwise I will jack the whole thing off!
                      The thing is that if you can not control your voice on that area (and you can't), there is just no *risk* of getting the higher range to work well. You still have the exact same fundamental issues from when you joined the forums: airy and lack rhythm.

And it's very likely that if you continue on this holy search for high notes, you will keep overlooking the aspects that would actually allow you to achieve what you want. Right now you *are* following the exact same path of the guy you like to mock.,,

Comment

Originally posted by New2 View Post
                        and what am I then?
                        I don't know because all we've heard is stuff you can't sing.

Someone with a huge amount of work ahead of them though. I wish you luck with the new lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by FelipeCarvalho View Post
                          And it's very likely that if you continue on this holy search for high notes, you will keep overlooking the aspects that would actually allow you to achieve what you want. Right now you *are* following the exact same path of the guy you like to mock.,,
                          Sorry New2 I have to agree with Felipe here. Those high notes you seem to be so focused on are a result of working on everything that comes before them. You have many bad habits to unlearn and a lot of groundwork to do. It won't work with the way you are carrying on at the moment.

Comment

Can't control the high notes, too breathy har har

To think all the time and money I have wasted on lessons and non of them where prepared to teach me how to do this because all they where interested in was doing scales from
                            C3-C4 and that is all you are ever capable of doing silly little pub scrooner now get back in your box and realize what potential you don't have! And as of this ill teachings I have had trough out (probable coz they can not go up to C5 them selfs **muppits**) the whole experience IMHO has been a complete waste of time and money; I mean I just don't understand Felipe, you prove (from the other thread) you have the ability to sing such dynamic songs but you too refuse or can not teach these skill to your students. Is that because you could always do this and talent was coming out of your ass at the age of nothing like it was a natural gift and therefore you could not explain or demonstrate the mythology to your students. I mean even my last teacher Ben who teaches BA degree at a university would only do scales upto E4 and that was the end of it, but I know he had the ability to to sing much higher notes from songs with that control you talk about, But refusing to teach the students how to bridge and connect I mean WTF! with the lot of all of you! I mean Not going to teach how to bridge and connect and keep to your chest voice only silly little pub scrooner!

Rights that's it I am wasting my life with this project think I should give up and admit defeat which is what everyone on this forum has been telling me to do all along, oops apart from fooling my self silly little man and sing silly little scrooning songs and settle with that for the rest of you fantasy little life or otherwise be gone!!!!!!

Felipe I am grateful that you where honest with me before that you where not prepared to train me how on how to bridge and connect but if CD is happy to sing in his chest voice for ever and ever then good on him! But I am sorry I can not live this pretence of a lie and am just going to have to go.

Comment

Oh dear.

New2 I think you need to take a reality check. It's not the teachers that can't teach that stuff, it's because the student isn't ready for it.

You don't strike me as a quitter but I think you need to learn to be more realistic about your own current abilities and what you should be focusing on to improve.

All these different teachers can't be wrong. I don't understand why you won't accept it ?

I am happy with the improvement I have made so far even if you think I am stuck in chest voice ( I'm not btw ) . It's taken me 3yrs of working at it almost every day to get this far and I wish it had only been 12 months but that's the way it is. Maybe I'm a slow learnerbutI will be at it for the next 3yrs and probably the 3yrs after that too.

Range is just one aspect of singing, who cares how high you can go if it sounds terrible... There's loads of great singers who don't even sing very high but are skilled vocalists.

It would be a shame if you left the forum but folks here are only trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X