Mic talk: About those fake vs genuine SM58 youtubes

Chordite

• Members

There are a lot of you tubes basically warning you about fake Shure SM58s. They nearly all tell you the same things to look for.

Now in the case of a new SM58 these points are probably true but a lot of this stuff does not apply to older Shures

I have an 18 year old SM58 complete with the receipt from the local music store as provenance

Two things they describe as "sure fire fake" indicators are present.

1 the threads are dull not shiny,

2 the shield bezel is tapered not curved

So if you are buying an older used SM58 note that those tests are not really applicable and could scare you off buying a genuine used mic.

Incidentally I also have a very old (1985) Shure 588SD, a close relative of the SM58 and that has a curvy bezel and dull threads. So things are not straightforward historically.

This guy explains that situation better than most.

[video=youtube_share;bpL5xO6AQW0]

• Members

Hi Chordite, useful vid. I'm glad you mentioned the sound at the end!

Would you say that a hired mic is more likely to be genuine? I'm making a pure guess that it would be bad business to hire out fake mics. Somebody is bound to catch you out,.... and word spreads.

So, if you don't know anybody with the real mccoy and want to find out how you sound with the genuine article, maybe that is one route to take.

• Members
I'm not trying to advertise. I just picked from a random Google selection, so that we can ignore the troll.

To be honest kickingtone the "troll" is right. There is no need to 'try it out' because it is the industry standard. If you are buying a new one from an authorised dealer you can't go wrong. You know it is going to work fine The Beta58 is going to be better.

The purpose of my post was to say that if you are buying an old SM58 the rules for detecting a fake don't apply because the design features like painted threads changed over the years.

• Members

To be honest kickingtone the "troll" is right. There is no need to 'try it out' because it is the industry standard. If you are buying a new one from an authorised dealer you can't go wrong. You know it is going to work fine The Beta58 is going to be better.

The purpose of my post was to say that if you are buying an old SM58 the rules for detecting a fake don't apply because the design features like painted threads changed over the years.

That's patently wrong.

Friend of the troll are you?

• Members

That's patently wrong.

Friend of the troll are you?

Nothing I have said is 'patently wrong' kickingtone. I don't do patently wrong.

Neither Cosmic Dolphin nor myself are trolls, though there does appear to be one on this thread :)

• Members

Anyone but a troll can see that you are patently wrong, Chordite.

All you have to do is Google 'HIRE SM58' and you can see a whole list of businesses HIRING them out. I linked to a few. Now stop trolling. Anyone who argues with black and white evidence is a troll. Clearly, the statement by your friend that they are "not worth hiring out" is wrong. End of story.

(btw, your point that you don't need to try one out "because it is an industry standard" is frankly ridiculous.)

Anyway, I'm not going to waste anymore time with you. Bye!

• Members

I didn't say you can't hire them, I said it's not worth it.....after 5 or 6 days you could have bought one.

Don't try to change what you said. You said that it not worth hiring OUT. Either way, there is clearly a market.

Even if you are the customer HIRING, and not the business HIRING OUT, it is still worth one or more people hiring one between them at 5 pounds for one day, before spending 80 pounds each.

And feel free to parrot that nonsense about "industry standard". I figured you out long time ago. TROLL!

• Moderators

Apparently there's a lot of fake Shures (57 and 58) floating around out there. If you can, try to purchase from an authorized retailer.

And regarding "hiring out", it might be worthwhile to rent microphones in some situations. Music equipment rentals are actually very popular and also quite affordable. Some people do it because they need extra equipment for a single event. It is also good if you're considering buying a certain microphone or equipment but you're not sure if its suitable or if you will like it. Two of my favourite microphones, the SM7B and SM81, I had rented them before I decided to buy them.

• Members

Don't try to change what you said. You said that it not worth hiring OUT. Either way, there is clearly a market.

I haven't changed what I said you just got it wrong as usual. Hire out as a customer not the business that owns the equipment. You are a pedant so you'll probably argue that grammaticly my wording is incorrect but the phrase can be used both ways.

So you're going to split it 3 ways... good luck finding 2 people willing to pay a fiver to endure your attempt. The only consolation is it will be mercifully short at 10 seconds. Don't forget it is primarily a stage mic with a cardioid response and the off axis rejection won't help with your bizarre new mic position.

• Members
Two of my favourite microphones' date=' the SM7B and SM81, I had rented them before I decided to buy them.[/quote']

Nice, and totally worth it at that end of the market. I hired an Electrovoice RE20 once for a certain vocalist...worked better than anything else I had in my collection. Surprisingly good for a dynamic, sounds more like an LDC mic.

I sold most of my outboard though when we moved, kept my AT4040 as a good all rounder but got rid of the rest apart from the ecm8000 for if I need to do any measurements.

• Members

What is SLM going to do with his mic, sing to him self in his bedroom :smiley-lol:troll:D2troll:Dtroll:p

Probably. But he'll need an audio interface with a pre amp on it so he can plug it in first.

Any way i might as well as, as I asked about equipment costs before. How much dose a decent mic cost?

Depends what you call decent and what you want to use it for. You can't go far wrong with a Rode NT1a for your first proper mic at £130.

Archived