No announcement yet.

Please rate and review my pitch and rhythm

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please rate and review my pitch and rhythm

Now I know I am living off of last years Christmas crackers and my mike and headphone set is that of a freebee included when you buy a cheep mobile phone from the supermarket, and that this is only a freebe Audacity recording software set. But this is not for professional production (and never will be) and is only hear to have my singing reviewed and this microphone is enough quality to pick up a good enough range for what we need

So to the song; how far off am I on my pitch and rhythm?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a45dh4bkqb...m%204.mp3?dl=0

Thanks
    New2
    Last edited by New2; 11-23-2017, 09:26 PM.

I was told I was using to much involvement of the mouth and that made me want to "scoop" the notes which sounds really unpleasant. So hear is me again same song not moving my mouth as much.
    Can you notice any difference between the two?
    Thanks
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcmc3qnfei9yfpo/test.mp3?dl=0

Comment

Originally posted by New2 View Post
      So to the song; how far off am I on my pitch and rhythm?
      Sounds pretty pitchy to me. What you said in your 2nd post about an unpleasant scooping sound..Yes I agree. It sort of makes you sound like a drunkard...slurring all the words. In the 2nd version I thought it was an improvement ..you sounded sober but still pitchy.

Rhythm wise I think it's okay but I'm not familiar with the song.

BTW the backing track sounds horrible which doesn't help. There are many Karaoke tracks on Youtube which you may be able to download and use instead.

Sounds like you need to do some really basic groundwork on your intonation.

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicDolphin View Post

Sounds pretty pitchy to me. What you said in your 2nd post about an unpleasant scooping sound..Yes I agree. It sort of makes you sound like a drunkard...slurring all the words. In the 2nd version I thought it was an improvement ..you sounded sober but still pitchy.
        Can you explain a bit more about pitchy please?
        Is there certain part of the song you recall that are off pitch or is it the whole lot? overall do you think I am to sharp or to flat?

BTW the backing track sounds horrible which doesn't help. There are many Karaoke tracks on Youtube which you may be able to download and use instead.

I chose the backing track for a reason! and that was because it is the song as in piano chords https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--V51aj02D0
        and it gives an instrument for the vocals only! which means I can sing to that exact pitch
        Listen to that recording again and see if you spot the instrument for the vocals and see how far apart my voice is from it

But hear is a recording of the proper backing track anyway
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/tldzu57n6m...zzzzz.mp3?dl=0

I mean what do you think I should practice? I have done all the major scales that include all the notes for that song and I can pitch the scales OK, so what cource of action do you think is best?

What you said in your 2nd post about an unpleasant scooping sound..Yes I agree. It sort of makes you sound like a drunkard...slurring all the words. In the 2nd version I thought it was an improvement ..you sounded sober but still pitchy.
        Well at least there is some improvement there

Also is it possible that using a cheep basic microphone of the quality of a cheep phone say, would not capture the pitch correctly?
        Last edited by New2; 12-10-2017, 08:29 PM.

Comment

HI New2

The whole thing sounds flat to me..I admit I don't know the song..but that's the general feeling

If you use a backing track with a solo instrument it's best to have just the chords playing rather than the melody line as well otherwise it can become a crutch.

You say you've practised scales? If you have then I don't think it's working for you as the song sounds very pitchy to me. How long have you practiced the scales for ? Weeks, Months , Years ? Practised them on what sounds ? All the different vowels etc ?

Course of action? Well it depends what you have done so far but I just think you need a local teacher to work with to help get you on the right track.

As far as microphones go , I've worked with everything from a cheap £10 Karaoke mic from Tandy ( Radio Shack ) up to something costing a couple of thousand pounds. I can assure you they won't affect the pitch of what's recorded although a better one will capture a more accurate tone.

I think you need to address some really basic stuff though which can't be done on a forum

Comment

You say you've practised scales? If you have then I don't think it's working for you as the song sounds very pitchy to me. How long have you practiced the scales for ? Weeks, Months , Years ? Practised them on what sounds ? All the different vowels etc ?

Course of action? Well it depends what you have done so far but I just think you need a local teacher to work with to help get you on the right track
            Yes I have done loads of scales (especialy 5 tone scales) on all the vowels and over a good range
            But this is a complex song and is going to show up any weaknesses I have.

My teachers wants me to
            1. do some listening exercises to 3rds and perfect 5th, and at the moment I am doing a piano listening exercise where I hear the note and have to guess what note it is. I must say I am struggling with it a lot
            2. learn how to read sheet music and buy a keyboard then play the vocal notes and match them from this sheet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--V51aj02D0

Comment

If you use a backing track with a solo instrument it's best to have just the chords playing rather than the melody line as well otherwise it can become a crutch.
              Do you know where I can get this from please?
              pearl jam jeremy

Comment

Well I would pick up a guitar and record it myself...you might find someone on Youtube that has already

Comment

Working...
                X