Does this sound ok?

kickingtone

• Members

I'm not too sure about singing diphthongs (where one syllable is made up of a shifting vowel sound). It has the potential to sound glitchy. To me, one day it sounds ok, the next I am not too sure. I kind of hope that I am over-analyzing!

Please have a listen to my short clip, and comment. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/kickingtone/ks132fep

• Members

I wouldn't worry about dipthongs when there are more fundamental issue that needs addressing. You still have a very squeezed tone ( a la Kermit or Beaker from the Muppets..I have also heard it described as Jerry Lewis' The Nutty Professor by a vocal coach ) so until you've sorted that out it doesn't really matter if you can hit a C5 or sing the dipthongs smoothly it's still going to sound constricted and unappealing.

For the record the words " I " @ 9s & " Like " @ 24s are jumping out..same vowel..it would sound better if you could even them out...some words sound like your voice is faltering or running out of breath / support .."continuing" is probably the most noticeable at 31s but it goes all wobbly, pitchy and uneven.

• Members
I wouldn't worry about dipthongs when there are more fundamental issue that needs addressing. You still have a very squeezed tone ( a la Kermit or Beaker from the Muppets..I have also heard it described as Jerry Lewis' The Nutty Professor by a vocal coach ) so until you've sorted that out it doesn't really matter if you can hit a C5 or sing the dipthongs smoothly it's still going to sound constricted and unappealing.

For the record the words " I " @ 9s & " Like " @ 24s are jumping out..same vowel..it would sound better if you could even them out...some words sound like your voice is faltering or running out of breath / support .."continuing" is probably the most noticeable at 31s but it goes all wobbly, pitchy and uneven.

You sound furious at my abilities. :lol:

I can't remember exactly what I said (months ago) to you, but you need to get over it.

• Members
You sound furious at my abilities.

Then you either have a very poor grasp of written language or delusions of granduer

I can't remember exactly what I said (months ago) to you' date=' but you need to get over it.[/color']

You said you didn't need a singing teacher, you have yet to prove otherwise.

• Members

^

While you PM your fellow troll to come and "back you up" :lol: , I just want to say this....

Your jealous responses are quite flattering, but it is not the best way to improve your own singing (whatever problems you are having) or justify your own training methods to yourself Just saying.

Anyway, we've been round this loop before. So, i'll ignore you.

• Members

Each phrase I pick and practise a cappella from a song targets something specific. It could be as simple as a single vowel in a specific context. I discover what I want it to be and then practise it until it becomes second nature.

It doesn't actually take a heap of practice, at all. The most challenging bit is finding out how to address the issue.

I prefer that to practising scales for a number of reasons, but that is just my personal opinion. What schoolkids do is kind of irrelevant, imo.

What I avoid doing is using style as an excuse. Slapping a wide vibrato or rampant vocal fry into your singing will get cheap applause and distract from a ton of errors, but I don't think it would improve your technique.

I told someone here :cool: that he was scooping his notes. You know what his excuse was? He said it was "modern style". Fact is, he couldn't hit the notes clean and he was fooling himself.

Although a lot of people focus on rock music, I don't, because I am just not interested in it or the sound of it, generally. :-) S&G is not folk music, btw. It doesn't matter anyway. I do pick folk songs, sometimes -- any music I like. (Actually, the clip in the OP has so many long gaps in it for the guitar, I had to totally modify the phrasing to sing what is left of my hatchet job a.cappella. But it doesn't affect what I am practising and listening for in the vocals.)

btw. I managed to figure out on my own what I was uneasy about, and I've found out what was causing it, too. Another good discovery! I'm well pleased with it!

• Members
you are not talking about the rock singer from south America that declined my request for lessons are we?

I have no idea but Kickingtone deludes himself into thinking the only person who can possibly teach him to sing is himself, despite regularly updating us with evidence to the contrary. These clips could have been recorded last week or 3 years ago - It's hard to discern much practical difference but he won't accept it and gets very defensive when people call him out.

• Members
Each phrase I pick and practise a cappella from a song targets something specific. It could be as simple as a single vowel in a specific context. I discover what I want it to be and then practise it until it becomes second nature.

The problem with that approach is you are merely papering over the cracks for a specific song, instead of learning a technique via exercises that will help you in all songs. Is this why your repertoire seems to consist of a handful of songs which you never sing all the way through ?

btw. I managed to figure out on my own what I was uneasy about' date=' and I've found out what was causing it, too. Another good discovery! I'm well pleased with it![/quote']

Enlighten us..Frog in your throat was it ?

• Members

I teach myself too! but I still have a teacher (someone with more experance then me) just to guide me through the exercises and make sure I am not doing them wrong

Yeah the problem you can be unconsciously incompetent...You don't know what you don't know...you could spend years performing exercises incorrectly and you would never know if it's all done in isolation...or else be totally oblivious to the underlying problems...so you just wind up addressing the symptoms.

• Members

You would be far better using resonance on the low notes then fry

Well you should have good resonance on every note anyway...the other stuff is just icing on the cake. A lot of these effects are just extensions of speech to communicate emotion..if they were sung straight they'd probably be less interesting.

If we're angry WE SHOUT AT PEOPLE....so angry songs are often sung in a shouty way....people who are upset or depressed or ill or whatever often speak with a creaky tone or a vocal fry sound, that's why it works. Same with whispery vocals, it just sounds more intimate.

All speech related.

Archived