Les Miserables - Bring Him Home (on my voice)

FelipeCarvalho

• Members

Hello again, this is a song from the musical Les Miserables, a beautiful piece that is sang by the character Jean Valjean, in the format of prayer. Very fun to sing full of highs and lows, a bit outside my work repertoire but I am very found of the result

Let me know how it sounds like!

Felipe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Nothing to do with lip movements, I think it is because of the FX you have put on your voice afterwards which makes it sound overproduced ( for what it is ) so the produced sound doesn't really match up with the visuals...one guy in a room doing a single take...with no acoustic treatment..bare walls..moving around off axis to the mic etc. I'd expect to hear level changes, a little boxiness that you get when a wall is quite close behind and other imperfections. All of that is missing.

I can tell it's the same take now as on the other video now....little imperfections are easier to listen out for

The way you say " Got" and not " God " on the first word

The little wobble at around 30s on "need"

Etc. Etc. All these things are exactly the same so yeah I can tell it's the same audio but I'm not buying the cam mics for that reverb ! That's a nice reverb..very smooth..lots of decay, Sounds more like a lexicon style plate reverb to me.

Also the dynamic range is quite different which indicates a compressor being used, and at 49s the compression has brought up the lip noise as you prepare to sing the next line. That's not audible on the raw footage.

That's my take on it :)

• Members

Indeed, I used a compressor, eq and reverb.

Which is the same I do on all my songs where I sing against a backing track! The main difference to the later ones is that I am also mixing the cam mics for reverb (after shaping it the way I want), I think I am overdoing it but the result is nice, for whatever reason.

To be completely honest, there is one noise that was a bit distracting/ugly and I muted it, that's the editing done.

In a way the video was much, much more produced since I really am still taking my first steps in it, I did a previous take that sounded nice, after setting the audio as I wanted I found out I was hidden behind the mic :p

Archived