Ink Spots - I don´t want to set the world on Fire (vocal cover)

FelipeCarvalho

• Members

Your voice is lacking in depth.

You manage to add some colour to your voice right at the beginning, by using a trace of "cackle". Then you run out of options.

From that point on, the instrumentals and background are doing all the ambiance work, and there is no low end ambiance in your tone to blend with. The production is disjointed.

You also sound as if you are struggling with a technical exercise, instead of enjoying the song (granted, it is not as easy as it may seem). So, your pitch rendition ends up sounding tentative and unconvincing.

It would sound a lot better if you developed more depth to your voice. (I had a listen to the original).

• Members
Your voice is lacking in depth.

You manage to add some colour to your voice right at the beginning, by using a trace of "cackle". Then you run out of options.

From that point on, the instrumentals and background are doing all the ambiance work, and there is no low end ambiance in your tone to blend with. The production is disjointed.

You also sound as if you are struggling with a technical exercise, instead of enjoying the song (granted, it is not as easy as it may seem). So, your pitch rendition ends up sounding tentative and unconvincing.

It would sound a lot better if you developed more depth to your voice. (I had a listen to the original).

Thanks for listening and for the words!

Oh but this is awesome, if its possible to have more depth I want it for sure. Can you please record a sample of how it sounds like so I can hear how its done? The first verse for example!

• Members

Listen carefully to how the depth of the singer's voice allows it to reach and blend with background. It touches the instrumentals and the background. They are not there to compensate for lack of depth.

I can't really hear anything I would call "depth" in your singing, at all.

[video=youtube;6l6vqPUM_FE]

• Members
Listen carefully to how the depth of the singer's voice allows it to reach and blend with background. It touches the instrumentals and the background. They are not there to compensate for lack of depth.

I can't really hear anything I would call "depth" in your singing, at all.

Partly a recording/ mix issue, the Bv's are too forward, that original may well have been recorded around a single mic so you have natural blend of voice and guitar all in the same acoustic space.it just helps everything to gel together... front to back mix depth.

I don't think the midi guitar sound is helping either but I thought Felipe did a nice job of the vocal performance.

• Moderators

Felipe, I think your cover sounds good. Your stylings seem to work well. Though the middle speaking part didn't really have me convinced, but not many people can sound like an American from the 1940's, lol..

Though kickingtone mentioned 'lacking of depth', the meaning of 'depth' could be subjective from one person to the next. If you mean how deep the voice sounds then I would agree, the original singer has a more baritone type of voice, whereas Felipe's voice is a bit higher. Mimicking styles is a good thing to practice, but trying to extensively mimic the exact tone of another singer would surely throw your natural voice off balance. I believe all singers alike should embrace the true sound of their voice and also respect the differences and unique qualities of everyone's voice.

Anyway good job Felipe!

• Members

Hi Davie, thank you for your feedback, yeah speaking that is quite weird ahahha.

Hey Cosmic, I was tempted for a while to use some effects to give it a more vintage feel, I was hoping to win a copperphone actually ahahah. But it didnt happen and I didnt bother. In any event I will find the track later and send it over, making the main vocals louder is a good idea.

• Members
Hi Davie, thank you for your feedback, yeah speaking that is quite weird ahahha.

Hey Cosmic, I was tempted for a while to use some effects to give it a more vintage feel, I was hoping to win a copperphone actually ahahah. But it didnt happen and I didnt bother. In any event I will find the track later and send it over, making the main vocals louder is a good idea.

Just Dropbox me the Wavs if you want me to do it

• 2 weeks later...

Archived