are de-essers a tool strictly for vocals?

samal50

• Members

I already have a TC Helicon Voiceworks (which I haven't mastered yet). I think it has de-esser effects so I'm not sure if those stand alone de-esser products are any more special than what is in the TC Helicon unit. In general, are standalone products superior in quality than multi effect units? I would think that some de-essers costing $150 would be a lot more special, or maybe it's all generic, meant to block the sibillance to produce crisp vocals?

• Members

I'll assume that a "studio d esser" would have more controls to target the offending audio. Different vocal qualities and lyrics might require different handling. In post, there might be other audio going on that might otherwise be "damaged" and on that note, you could use one as a tone shaper. Stranger things have been done.

• Members

I too have used them on drum cymbals. I've even tried them on completed mixes to tame the harsh end but I do use them mostly for vocals.

The one I use most is very mild that's built into the Voxengo Voxformer plugin. You barely know its working till you turn it off. I have others which are much more aggressive like the Waves DeEsser. I rarely have anything I need to DeEss that much bit it can be tuned to a broad or narrow band to selectively hit certain frequencies well.

• Moderators
I've used de-esser plugins on drum overheads to reduce the cymbal harshness on more than one occasion' date=' but their primary use is on vocals.[/quote']

That's actually a pretty good idea. I might give it a try too.

And to answer samal50's question. I think you should get by fine using a multi-effect processor which includes a DeEsser. When used appropriately and subtly, a DeEsser shouldn't really affect overall sound quality. Usually you should only set its threshold up to the point when only the S's in the vocal get reduced and not the tone.

That's actually a pretty good idea. I might give it a try too.

And to answer samal50's question. I think you should get by fine using a multi-effect processor which includes a DeEsser. When used appropriately and subtly, a DeEsser shouldn't really affect overall sound quality. Usually you should only set its threshold up to the point when only the S's in the vocal get reduced and not the tone.

Here's a few tips for you if you do... http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/taming-overbearing-cymbals :wave:

Archived