Been working on correct technique - tell me what you think!

littleopie

• Members

For starters I'm 18, and I'm new here! You all seem really helpful so that's why I came to you.

Throughout high school I thought that shaking your throat/larynx was the right way to produce vibrato... and by the time I found out it was supposed to come naturally after I got a voice teacher, I was way far gone, and now my throat immediately tenses whenever I sing, making my voice sound flat and forced sometimes. I've been working on loosening up and this cover hopefully shows that. So do I sound good at all? Be brutally honest please!

And if any of you have tips for someone whose throat just loves being tense, don't hesitate to give me some advice!

• Members

Hi! :) Yes, it does come naturally, although it can be learnt. THere is a good program by Brett Manning called Mastering vibrato, but his program Singing Success should be done first. You produce tone by pushing air deep from diaphragm and it vibrates vocal cords which produces tone. Throat is like a box at a guitar. It is only used to channel the air and sound. I think you are already good and have a good voice control and someone could give you few advices here and there. If you can afford, find a great teacher with good recommendations and he/she can help you become way better and be able to sing effortlessly. It can cost up to 50$/hour or more, but I think nothing is too much for good voice lessons. Hope it helped :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The only way to get true vibrato in a voice is to free the throat of unnecessary tension. Once that tension is gone and your breath is steady then the vibrato should come in automatically without even trying. It is possible to "fake" a vibrato by bobbing the larynx up and down but that's not true vibrato, that's actually a vocal trill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think you basically have a very nice voice. I know exactly what you mean about tensing up the throat, something I've been fighting the last little while - which developed after I learned a lot more about creating better tone and projection. I've been working with Andy King at New York Vocal Coaching via skype and that's helping, but not inexpensive so I think I'm doing only one more lesson with him.

A really good and not too expensive course that really helped my tone though was Belt Your Face Off - http://www.beltyourface.com/

Yes, it's about getting into the belting range (mixed voice) - but the basic techniques really helped me. After doing that course I had a lot of spontaneous compliments from people, including a woman who said "Why haven't I heard of you before, you have a great voice."

Archived