Nasal Resonance when singing

• Members

Hi, I am having trouble placing my voice higher/using nasal resonance when I'm singing high, any tips? I also suffer from wide vowels and tense jaw when singing.

Also my voice is also husky and very airy, is this natural to my (baritone/tenor) timbre?

Recording: http://www.smule.com/recording/beyonc%C3%A8-listen-male-key/495532180_502200352 (Second guy)

• Members

I'm not sure who has told you what in the past. I would say you are quite nasal and could do with activating your soft palate. Sing scales of your choice using the phrase "hung-Gee, hung-Gah, hung-Goo"

Your tone sounds in good shape. It you worry about too much air, practice sirening through your range daily.

Here is a great article which explains how to access your higher range: http://www.voicecouncil.com/5-ways-to-master-your-high-notes/

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Hi, I am having trouble placing my voice higher/using nasal resonance when I'm singing high, any tips? I also suffer from wide vowels and tense jaw when singing.

Also my voice is also husky and very airy, is this natural to my (baritone/tenor) timbre?

Recording: http://www.smule.com/recording/beyon...2180_502200352 (Second guy)

Try whisper singing. If you can still produce a round tone, then your timbre is naturally dark. If you can't, and it all sounds whispery, then it is just air.

The first singer in your clip is using his abdominals. This helps his diaphragm to hold the air pressure precisely. This becomes critical with high notes, because they need higher air pressure. If you don't have the abdominal control, there will be spikes in the air pressure you are delivering to your vocal cords. To protect the soft tissue of your vocal cords, your jaw, neck or throat may be in a state of tension, ready to reflex against any spikes in air pressure. Your vocal cords may also part slightly so they don't get the full blast of any spikes in air pressure. (That can result in airiness or flipping into "head tones".) That is why singing high notes is psychological. You not only need the correct technique, you need confidence in that technique, otherwise protective reflexes will still interfere, and cause tension.

It is difficult to shape your vocal tract, soft palate, mouth, or whatever else, if they are busy with protective tension. The first singer is relaxed, so he can choose the best shape of his vocal tract for the resonance to come through, right into the mask. That is nasal resonance. (Note that he also has some nasality, which is a slightly different thing. You may not want to copy that.)

So, my advice would be to learn how the abdominals engage to regulate air pressure (if you are the second singer. :-) ).

• Members
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I still have problems going up after f#4. My vocie keeps breaking into head voice instead of mix.

Singing ain't a competition - but if you wanna hit the high notes, you gotta put your body into it. Make sure you feel really rooted like a tree, like nobody could push you over.

Also make sure you are not increasing air pressure. When people talk about abdominal control etc.they mean don't push the belly in. You gotta keep the abdominal wall relaxed or strong and outward - like your trying to look pregnant. Holding in your belly will increase air pressure causing the register flip.

Archived