What register is used here?

• Members

Register? I think you're dealing with a vocal range issue more then a vocal register.

What I hear is a male with possibly an ethnic influence trying to sing in a female vocal range and missing a bunch of the proper pitches in the process.

If you want to nail down a high pitched voice using the only upper falsetto, practice singing the Bee Gees or Dion. Those guys had it nailed down to a science. They hit the intervals right for male voices.

Females don't use falsetto, they have naturally higher voices. Only certain men can match it and its usually only for a few years before their voice changes. Changes are based on both physical size and hormonal changes that influence body development.

If you are jumping between regular and falsetto you're going to have a hard time doing that. The way your throat is positioned for each is very different and making that jump from one to the other is rarely smooth. Its kind of like changing gears in a car. You have to use a clutch to disengage one to get to the other which is not going to be smooth or pleasant and its often most uncomfortable bringing the falsetto down to lower notes where your normal upper voice ends. I'm sure some expert can explain it to you more scientifically but to me its like changing to a higher gear when you haven't got enough speed and the engine bucks.

I spent many years backing up female vocalists and often had to hit notes that were in that danger zone where one or the other are a gamble. I usually choose to use my normal voice because my falsetto has pretty much disappeared at my age, as it does with most normal males. I know several singers who got their vocal cords surgically altered to retain their higher vocal ranges as they got older.

The best solution is to change keys so the music is in your range or pick a different song. If you're doing other peoples music there is surely no shortage of material out there. if you do your own music then you can choose any key you want. Transposing a song is very simple too.

What many do is download one of these digital plugins that will lower the pitch of a song so they can practice singing to it in a better range for them. Then they gradually bring it up in pitch over time. This way they make sure all the notes are there and only go up to the point where they start loosing it them back it down a semitone so they have a safety factor there.

You used to be able to use WinAmp for playing back music and download a plugins that changes pitch and/or change the tempo so you could also change the speed. They probably have dozens of them you can download for free now. Just google it up. One of those makes for a real useful tool practicing other peoples material. Singing along at a slower speed gives you time to match their vocal style and pitches too.

I would suggest you stay within your range however...Otherwise you may wind up with a damaged voice like mine because you were forcing yourself to sing things that weren't suited to your natural voice.

If you aren't sure what your natural voice is, you can get an idea by using a piano and starting off with a low note and finding the lowest note you can sing, then working up the scale following with your voice till you hit the highest comfortable note you can hit without pain, without strain, and without jumping to falsetto. If you then count the notes and select the center between the high and low, that's your ideal range for singing.

Over time with hard work and practice you can often expand that range, but you only do it by strengthening notes within your normal range, not by pushing the envelope up to notes that are difficult. A strong Falsetto comes from having a strong normal voice and using a trick with your throat to create that octave. I've always considered falsetto as a leftover from when a boys voice changes to a mans. I've noticed since I've gotten older my normal voice has gotten stronger, the falsetto gets weaker till it eventually disappears. I can still do it at my age but its pretty painful. Thing is I can hit most of those high notes with my regular voice so there's really no reason for me to use it besides doing some really high chorus stuff like the Eagles used to use.

Again, work on your normal range and you'll find anything an octave higher will be much easier to pull off, plus you'll hit the notes in pitch because the lower notes training need double the vocal cord compensation then the higher ones do to remain in pitch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Smile, drop your jaw and shrug your shoulders and then drop them, when doing that, clench your but cheeks and bend your knees, then imagine singing from your belly button. I think you can improve tremendously, but like me you struggle with tnesion in the upper belting range becuase you have a heavy voice type and your trying to get a light voice type tone, so your squeezing, the goal is to let go of the tension and just belt it. all the things I just recomend will engage the body and disengage the tension in the throat, give them each a try seperately or together, they work surprisingly well. also lip rolls really help to

Archived