Tips On Singing "Livin' on a Prayer"?

Spiral7

• Members

Great song but I have trouble with the high notes in the chorus. Jon Bon Jovi has a really powerful chesty sounding voice when he belts them out. Any tips on how I can work on this? Not to mention the key change at the end is a nightmare. What kind of vocal tricks did Jon himself use to be able to sing so high? I would like to be able to eventually sing this in the original key, just need some advice and a whole lot of practice. Thanks I appreciate it!

• Members

Try singing the whole song with "mum". Then try singing the harder parts. You should find them easier. You can also close the vowels a little bit... close the space in your mouth on the really high notes... it's easier. It may sound nasal, but as you practice and your voice is stronger, you can change the shape to a more musical and wider sound. Just some short tips... there could be many more ideas... sing the song a or section in a lower key and move up, 1/2 step by 1/2 step... as it gets better... etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Its al about that mix voice!! Hahaha. I think this is the hardest thing for male singers to learn how to use. As a matter of fact, many of them dont! Best way to do this is to sing scales that mainly preside in the space between your falsetto and chest voice. This is called your "mix" voice. When you are singing this particular song at first, dont belt it. Sing it softly and fight the natural disposition to switch to your falsetto on the higher notes. Every time you sing it, put more and more power behind your voice until you are able to belt those notes. Just be careful when it comes to belting; make sure you have plenty of air, and when practicing, keep room temperature water nearby.

• 1 month later...

Archived