Seeking assistance on Johnny Cash cover

VladM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Johnny Cash is hard to cover well his voice is deep and distinctive. I would suggest you record everything direct. Its much cleaner. You might want to transpose to a key your more comfortable with or use auto correct. Your pitch goes out when you go into the chorus. Plus reverb should be used sparingly. This is a Johnny Cash cover I recorded for my father who was a big Johnny Cash fan. Not my best work but you should hear the difference in how it was recorded.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

@VladM,

Practice coming in on a D for the chorus "I fell In" should be D, F#, A. You're coming in on F, which is out of key for the song. If you don't come in on the right note at the beginning of a line, you'll be sunk.

So, practice the chorus separately, and get the notes right. Then, practice transitioning from the end of the verse into the beginning of the chorus so that you get the proper intervals and correct notes in your head. F is an illegal note in that key, as the melody goes to F#, not F, so singing an off-key note is a big thing to be avoided.

Bob

Archived