Anybody willing to give some feedback?

Rcpd0715

• Members

Please rate my song/voice...wrote it when my father passed away recently...it's a rough draft and is changing constantly. I recorded it with my laptop's built in mic and my son is playing in the background, so the quality isn't the best. I added some reverb to it to sustain it a bit. Never have really sang or played much in front of people, so a little nervous I guess. Just want to get some unbiased feedback on my voice really, lol...be honest though!! Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/ronnie-blevins-574625098/fishingpolecaneman4

• Members

Hi, Rcpd0715,

Your soundcloud link isn't a link to your recording. It just takes us to the front page of soundcloud.com, not your song.

It may take YOU to your own account, which has your song, but we aren't YOU, so we need a link to YOUR SONG or we will never find your song. This happens sometimes here.

Go to the page where your song is, and copy the URL from there. That's what you need to paste into your posting for others to hear you.

Thanks.

Bob

• Members

Also there was a bunch of background noise, but other than that it was good to go.

As far as mic, get you something like a Blue Snowball or something similar. Any USB mic will make a world of difference in your sound quality.

If you look you could probably find the Samson CO1 or something similar for less than $50.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't know why I couldn't link through to your sound file before. It worked fine this time.

Your voice sounds very nice. You use a little too much of a breathy sound fro good vocal health, but a lot of artists use this for effect. It will dry your vocal cords out too quickly.

I like your song. You sing it with conviction. I feel your heartache when you sing it. That is a talent that you have.

Your pitch is good. You support your notes. Your tone is good, but a bit breathy. As MDMachiavelli pointed out, the noise level detracts from the sound of your voice. Perhaps you can just get closer to the mic next time, so it won't pick up so much room noise, and avoid any auto-compression setting, as they will raise the noise floor to keep the mic from overloading.

Good job with your song. Sorry it took so long to get you an evaluation.

All the Best!

Bob

• Members
I don't know why I couldn't link through to your sound file before. It worked fine this time.

Your voice sounds very nice. You use a little too much of a breathy sound fro good vocal health, but a lot of artists use this for effect. It will dry your vocal cords out too quickly.

I like your song. You sing it with conviction. I feel your heartache when you sing it. That is a talent that you have.

Your pitch is good. You support your notes. Your tone is good, but a bit breathy. As MDMachiavelli pointed out, the noise level detracts from the sound of your voice. Perhaps you can just get closer to the mic next time, so it won't pick up so much room noise, and avoid any auto-compression setting, as they will raise the noise floor to keep the mic from overloading.

Good job with your song. Sorry it took so long to get you an evaluation.

All the Best!

Bob

Thank you for the response Bob! I appreciate the evaluation.

I am new to trying to record myself or anything, I have always just tinkered around by myself and never been evaluated by anybody. I don't consciously try to make it breathy for effect, I think I just don't really know what I am doing lol. Do you have suggestions for improvement?

Again, I really appreciate your feedback!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

@Rcpd0715,

Something we all need, in order to reduce the amount of breathiness in our voice, is "cord closure". If there is a gap between our two vocal cords, air will rush through. Our tone will be breathy, and we will use up our singing breath too soon.

There is an exercise called "The Hut". You say hhhhhhhhuuuuut! and instead of making the "T" sound at the end with your tongue, you do it in your throat by closing the vocal cords. You can then go hhhhhhhuuuuuut-AAAAAAAAH and sing an AH vowel, coming straight from closing the gap between your cords. Now you should be singing an AH vowel with good cord closure.

This will improve your tone, and preserve your air. By varying the amount of breath support and pressure you use, you can greatly vary your tone.

All the Best!

Bob

Archived