How to Make These Vocals Less Strenuous and More Powerful

Gallant

• Members

Hi!

A little background: I have trained my vocals with a college instructor for roughly four years, I haven't had a lesson in nearly two. The reason I say this is because I had posted on Yahoo forums only to be lectured without constructive criticism by someone who had the information I was asking about only because I was hoping someone would provide it free of charge. I am a student. I am also broke. Whenever I can afford to, I will reinvest in a vocal coach because I am aware that not having one has lead me to developing bad habits.

My techniques are full of bad habits. I need help analyzing them and figuring out what I can do to release the tension and build a stronger, healthier voice.

Anyways, here is a song of mine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UlU1l7bXxUMFlWa3ZhbGlsd3M/view?usp=sharing

I did every part by myself, I also produced it with Cubase LE 5 and Ozone, but I am a crap producer and I don't have great equipment. The vocals are also completely random and nonsensical because I am strapped for time and am more concerned about having healthier vocals than focusing on my production skills. This song was really just an effort to get myself out there in the first place, but I'm apprehensive to advertise myself because of the vocals.

Here are a few more random examples.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UlU1l7bXxUOUZ1MlkxRENmXzA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UlU1l7bXxUUk83RThIYjZVMDg/view?usp=sharing

I'm bothered by this in a few ways. For one thing, there's no smoothness in my tone. For another, I'm shouting at times. I am very fond of the distorted belt, one used by my favorite singer, Jonny Craig. This song here is amazing, it's my goal to be able to sing this correctly without strain in my own unique voice.

But, I would be content with starting off this song correctly without strain to build up to more challenging techniques.

I am under no disillusion that I can make my voice sound like his. However, I want to be a better singer, and I am determined to reach this magnitude of greatness. The only problem is that I'm broke, although I have a job, and live in a very plain area in Missouri that harbors very few musicians or coaches who can help me achieve these goals. I live about an hour away from St. Louis. If I knew of a coach there that could help me out, that might be a decent start. I could probably even take some exercises and run with those. Most of my equipment can run my voice back into my headphones, which gives me a good representation of my overall tone, which helps me decipher where I can improve...this has actually helped me improve dramatically in the past week or so.

The help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I couldn't hear any of your demos. I guess you have to download them. Most people don't want to download files from random people on the internet. That can get sketchy.

Can you put these on soundcloud or somewhere that doesn't require the listener to download files onto their computer?

Thanks.

Bob

Archived