How to Know if You Can Sing

Chordptrn

• Members

Most of that is either self evaluation or peer evaluation. Your Mommy and Daddy are always going to tell you you're great but that doesn't mean you are. its doesn't even evaluate if you have the basic skills needed.

The best way to become a good singer is through mentoring in one method or another. The best is to get professional lessons and taught how to sing before you adopt a load of bad techniques you only have to dump and start over from scratch. The younger the better too. Very few singers become great if they don't begin before puberty. This is very important because its the origin of when you began that gives you inner strength. Your motives are different when you're young too. Its isn't to impress the opposite sex and the production of good art is a matter of inner well being.

You can go without professional help if you work around other pros allot who are willing to coach you. Even that doesn't always work. I grew up in a household of pros and it didn't rub off on me as well as it should. I learned their techniques, I leaned perfect pitch and all the proper moves, using a mic. I spent thousands upon thousands of hours perfecting my voice and still Its no where near what I'd like it to be. I've even had people come up to me and say I sing great.

Me? I'd like to ask them is they have medical issues which affect their auditory nerves of something but I don't. I know performing has allot to do with emotional content and illusion. If they can tolerate my singing they may appreciate that I had to supplement those areas more to make up for the areas I'm weak in. I do regret I didn't take vocal lessons as a child to perfect my weaknesses as a child, but at least I can tolerate what I do now. heck even Bob Dylan is loved as a singer through that ragged hick voice. People see the heart and appreciate what's being said and how its said. Its just allot easier to do with a wider audience appeal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Singing is subjective. Some people can naturally carry a tune and others have to work at it. I think that all people can sing, just some not as well as others. Unless you are totally tone deaf, it's all about how much you practice. Your voice is an instrument. Just like playing the guitar or piano, the more you practice the better you get. Feed back is important. Remember that when you record yourself, you will not sound like you think you do. Depending on the style of song, you may sound better than you think.

Let you voice ring out.

• Members

There are two ways of measuring:

1. Detect how well your ear works: http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

Musicians need to be better than average here, and pro musicans are often excellent at hearing different pitch. This is very important cause you need to be able to hear what tones are played to match them. Detecting less than 1hz between two pitches is normal for a good musician.

2. Detect how well you can control your pitch. There are software for this, and the game Singstar is an excellent tool! For the latter, do the following test: pick a song you know well, learn the melody to perfection. Then try it on Singstar many times until you don't improve. Measure at level HARD. 70% is OK. 80% is good. 90% is Very good and everything over is awesome.

This is a cold hard way to find out. If your mum says you sound great and you can't hold a pitch, sorry.....

About sound, tone and other subjective things; this is not an absolute science. There are singers I think sound annoying selling for millions, so there is no way to detect....

Archived