Hi everybody :)

• Members

Hi I'm Zach. I'm new here and figured I'd introduce myself and talk about my experience with becoming a better singer. Because that's been my mission for about ten years now. Peter Paul and Mary's cover of Don't Think Twice It's Alright inspired me to pick up guitar AND singing. I've always been effected in a big way emotionally by passionate singers. Simon and Garfunkel, Whitney Houston, The Carpenters...I love them all.

When I set out on my journey to become an amazing vocalist, I set out to be able to sing with POWER and EMOTION, to be able to belt, and sing high notes. I never realized how difficult it would be. Singing in tune was never a problem for me, so at least I had that. Singing with proper technique and using my breath effectively was my problem. I would screech out my high notes and sing with lots of tension. There was no consistency in my voice. At all. I'd have days where suddenly I figured it all out! "Yes! I finally got this" it felt effortless too. Then the next day I lost it. This has happened to me COUNTLESS times. And it was VERY frustrating!!

The thing I've realized about the voice is that it is so very personal. You cant see it or touch it, and it takes a long time to be able to control it. It's also very hard to explain it to people. When I sing, I have this mental image in my head of what I'm doing to be able to sing this way...based on what I'm feeling in my throat. Air going this way, looping around this way, behind my throat, under the breath, above the breath. Sometimes it's effortless and seems to be materalizing out of nowhere, sometimes it's forced and not grounded. This mental image has changed thousands of times in ten years. As you can tell I have taken a VERY analytical approach to learning to sing! Lol.

But despite all my frustrations, as time has gone on, even though I would forget, my brain subconsciously wouldn't. And now I'm very happy with my voice :) Its more consistent, I can sing with power, it's very exciting for me :)

Thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to interacting with you all through this forum :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived