How much can i shape my voice

phantome

• Members

Hi, as a novice who's interested in pursuing singing/voice lessons i have a certain question...

Just how much can you shape your voice? What can you control to get as close to your imagined desire as possible?

I think i'll post a recording of me trying to sing one of my favorite songs later, in the meanwhile..

My favorite singer is Alejandro Sanz, i like the style of his voice, and how he uses it to produce what i consider to be awesome results in different genres, whether it be funk, rock, flamenco inspired ballads, etc. I specifically love his raspy, husky, voice, and i'd like to emulate that so much.

I'd like to clean up my diction as well as try to find what i can consider to be a "cleaner edge" to my voice, and i'd like to have a bit of a husky voice as Alejandro shows here for example..

[video=youtube;Tobdjjpj-vM]

I'd want to be able to do what he does with his voice... and i don't know how much of that is uniquely natural to him specifically though. Flamenco is known for that sort of rasp, having been raised in this culture, did he acquire it along the way, or is he somehow naturally gifted with a physiology that gifts him this kind of rasp? (all heightened by his use of his own background vocals..)

And it stands out as peculiar to all of the music review websites i've been too, describing his voice as "passionate and Andalusian", "flamenco flame sears his raspy voice", etc.

• Members

Hi. I've spent the last 10 years trying to master my voice and can give you an insight into the things I've learned.

The voice is VERY shape-able. People may be born with the ability to make unique sounds with their voices, but singing is singing. Everybody has the same equipment, though it may be differently shaped or sized.

Something I've come to realize, is that there are SO MANY different sounds you can create. I may be wrong but I believe that those famous singers that have a distinct sound to their voice choose to sing that way. They could also choose to sing in other ways but they are famous for that one voice. Of course there are singers who do utilize the full potential of what their instrument can do.

I can totally relate to you wanting to clean up your diction and sing with an edge. From my experience, you don't want to try too hard...that is what creates tension..your voice and body need to be relaxed to sing with proper technique. Singing with clean diction takes very little effort, it almost feels like the note is coming out of nowhere. That's not to say that is easy to do lol.

To me it feels like you are anchored in this lowness. Even with high notes you are anchored down. This is the opposite of yelling and straining to sing.

The video you posted, I love his voice! To sing like him you're gonna need to be able to sing low. Low, relaxed and clear. Dont worry about his powerful notes for now. You wanna build up from a low point.

This is all just advice from my experience. I hope it can help you to reach your own vocal aspirations!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived