Pleaseeeeee Help !😕

• Members

I really really want to get into singing. I've always been very interested in singing but I've never thought that I had a singing voice at all because of my deep voice but it turns out that I have a falsetto apparently because I can control my voice at a very high pitch I guess you could say. But the problem is that I cant find my own singing voice and it is terribly frustrating to me every time I try and sing a song and it never sounds close to being good in my opinion. I don't know if its because im trying to sound like my favorite singer currently which is Sam Smith, im absolutely in love with his voice. I've been looking at videos and trying to learn things but it all sounds so foreign to me or the video is telling me how to improve my singing voice which I have not yet found or understand how its supposed to sound. I've seen videos showing me exercises to do that I don't know if im doing them right or not which makes me even more frustrated and videos have been telling me to find my vocal range and I have no idea how. I really want to learn how to sing but all this stuff is making me want to give up trying.

PS. Will allergies and stuffy nose have any effect on my singing ...one of my nostrils stays stopped up constantly.

• Moderators

Hi there,

I can completely relate to your challenges. When I was younger I use to just imitate singers who's voices I liked. At first I was managing okay, but over time the voice started becoming strained and singing became more and more difficult. The only way to find your TRUE voice is to develop your vocal technique using vocal methods free of tension and strain. Once you do, your natural voice will be apparent and singing will be much more easy and enjoyable. I would recommend that you find a good voice teacher, someone who is not only knowledgeable but patient as well. On a side note, yes, allergies and any nasal obstruction will definitely affect the voice. The main issue is loss or reduction in nasal resonance. If nasal resonance becomes limited then the voice may have difficulty projecting fully.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Archived