Opera and classical singing as a hobby? Help!

Vishykc

• Members

Hello, everyone! A 22 y.o. mathematician from Croatia here, trying to sing well. So, I have never sung before primary school, wasn't interested in it. In primary school, I went to classical elementary school for 6 years and learned piano there, but still no interest in music. When I have turned 19 and have gone to college, I really wanted to sing, but it was really, really bad, out of tune, weak voice etc. I took private lessons with a classically trained teacher for 2 years and improved a lot, but I am still not good. Now I watch online operas for a year now and really want to sing this style (or type if you want). My parents are smart and they say I haven't sung when It was time, now I'll never have singing voice or anything... I can't admit or accept they are right, just really want this. In state classical music "high schools" come people who want to go to Vienna and few people are chosen so I do not have any chance. I could go to a private one which is like 200-300$ and would really have to live hard if I go there... I only know I wanna sing opera and classical compositions, get better in it and probably after 6 years of singing school sing as a hobby, continue private classical lessons and just type piano sheet into some software to sing along to at home. Does anything here makes any sense? I know it wouldn't to me if someone told me all this... So, here's my bad singing, at least I have ok sense for pitch and rhythm, but still not good. Please, be honest, if I'm a lost case in singing, I really wanna know this!

smiley-cool17.gifthumbsdown.png

• Moderators

There's nothing wrong with doing singing as a hobby, regardless of your skill level. If it brings you joy and you have a passion to keep on doing it, then that is good enough. There's always room for improvement, but that's what makes it exciting and interesting as well.

• Members

Thank You very much! :) My parents ask me:"What will you do with it? You can't even go to karaoke bars singing it, do something more useful..." I guess I should become a famous surgeon by singing classical music... I guess it would be enough if I continue going to private lessons after 6 years of classical music shool and just type piano sheet into some software and sing along it. Is classical more "hard work" than contemporary? I just feel like giving up on contemporary as I see more and more "born" factor is the most important, beautiful voice etc. Is the same in classical or I can become good if I put a lot of effort? I know it way harder, but is it because "born" factor has less effect?

• Members

Hi Vishykc, I've been in music for 17 years. Spent almost all of that time learning the saxophone. It wasn't until music school that I had to start using my voice and I was terrible! Unfortunately, because I was practicing so hard on the saxophone, my voice never improved.

Today, my sole focus is on improving my voice. So you and I are in similar situations! I have one question and one piece of advice for you:

Question: Would you describe your warmup routine? I ask because after reading your post and listening, I think making adjustments to your warmup routine would help a lot!

Advice: if your parents aren't supportive of your singing dreams, you MUST NOT talk to them about it. I have been in the same situation with my folks and the conversations leave you frustrated and confused. Talk to them about other things, but don't bring up singing.

It's VERY HARD I know, but if you want to protect your dream, you need to find the people who will help you succeed, not drag you down.

Shoot me an e-mail if I can help with that warmup! - harrison (at) musicmunch (dot) com. Good luck Vishykc.

• Members

Vishykc,

Your voice is untrained. Whatever style of music you want to sing, you will need to train, to give your voice a foundation from which to sing.

If you have a passion and a vision to sing, you can follow your heart. If you want to sing for your own joy, you should not let anyone's discouragement stop you from moving in that direction.

The music you posted is not operatic. You don't sound that bad. You sound very untrained, and because of that, you have no technique to rely upon. You would most likely want to seek out some form of basic classical or operatic singing course so that you can learn techniques that are going to take you that direction.

If singing in that style is something you want in life, then go for it for your own personal pleasure. As a profession, it's probably not something you can achieve, getting a late start in life. As a way of enjoying life, it is totally possible for you to learn singing techniques and to improve your skills, regardless of your age or experience. Just because you may not be a "born singer" doesn't mean that you can't learn a lot of techniques that will make you a better singer. Those who travel to Italy to study have to spend YEARS doing nothing else but work on and studying their voice, full-time. Often they have a head-start from singing for years prior to travelling to advanced schools in other countries.

That said, if you want to sing, and are willing to learn, then you should start now. Waiting will only delay you that much more.

All the Best!

Bob

• Members

@harrisonw Sometimes I do lip rolls and tongue trills which are famous for vocal warmup. Sure, it isn't really important for parents to understand what you really want, if something doesn't have sense to some people, so be it. I haven't given up 3 years ago when it was really horrible, so I won't now either.

@highmtm I really do have passion for it which is strange since before I was 20, always hated to sing and listen to music biggrin.png

I know it isn't operatic, but, although I do not prefer to listen to pop, I actually enjoy singing it, I find it strange indeed. I have found really awesome professional in my country who works with people on The Voice and is a brilliant singer as well and improve in contemporary music. First things first, the private classical singing schools are too expansive. As You have told me once, classicaly trained singer can't completely teach you rock for instance because they have another musical background. Doing the same "classical" type of training by singing the same scales over and over again can't be everything that is important for a singer. Obviously, the best type of coach is the one that shows you he can brutally sing, tell you about chest, head, mix, voice, adjust exercises just for you, goes through songs with you analysing every sound you make, which was not the case with my classically trained coach who claimed to "teach" you any style.

Thank you both, I really appreciate your help and time spent to read and listen smile.png

Archived