critique my mix voice

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey. I listened to your video a couple times...here's my critique for your mix voice :)

You have decent control over your pitch, though some notes are out of tune. If you have a piano or guitar maybe play the melody line and make sure you are in tune line by line. Parts of the song you have no problem with pitch wise.

Now your breathing...it looks like you may be taking breaths every now and then, but you're not doing it enough, or correctly it seems. I'm not a trained vocal coach, so I can't go into extreme detail on how to breathe correctly, but I'd say experiment with the way you are breathing. You can feel a difference between taking a good breath compared to a shallow one. I saw you didnt didn't breath at all before the chorus! Once you start breathing correctly it becomes second nature!

I taught myself to sing over the past ten years so I'm gonna give you some advice based on that experience.

The way you sing "gravity" at about 40 seconds in? That's what you want. Can you hear the power in your voice when you sing that? That's the breaths power...that note was supported. Singing like that allowed your high note to remain consistent with the notes before it. Listen to your other high notes. They are sung with tension and are not supported for the most part.

Another idea. Try to sing with a lower voice...at least at first. Get used to singing low. I say this because when you go up in pitch to hit a high note, that high note should be supported. It's sort of like the high note is anchored with a lowness.You dont want to tighten your throat to strain out a high note like you did sometimes in this video. I know this because it was something I had to overcome too.

If anything is wrote doesn't make sense, let me know and Id be happy to explain it better!lol

Anyway I hope this helps :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

@spitinlyrics,

You have the range, but not the breath support. Without the support, your notes shake and are unstable. Learn a little bit about support and then lean on it. That's what's really missing from your voice. Support.

With the range you have, adding support will give you the stability to your voice that it's presently lacking.

Do some research on vocal support for singing.

All the best!

Bob

Archived