Any voice over experts?

Friendlyman

• Members

Good evening,

I just joined the forum.

I was looking for some answers on the net and came accross this site. I have a few questions. But I think this one belongs here. So I'll post my first one here.

So, I work in an office. And I need to update the voice messages for our phone system. Up until now, I'm the one that did it. For the main answering message and for all other extension mail boxes.

We are not very picky how it sound as long as its clear. But since I'm the one doing it. I want to fancy it up a bit. I never got any complaints about my voice. But then if they do complain. I'll make them record it.

I'd like to post a link of something I just spoke in to my android phone using voicecloud.Listen to Voice test using my Android phone by Friendlyman #np on #SoundCloud

I do have a software I downloaded. That I could add two or track to play together. let's say we want some lite music to play while I narrate.

I also own a Samson c02 set of two pencil mics. A Samson Speaker. And a Yamaha switch. I think that's what it's called.

I'm wondering if I should record my messages with my setup in to my pc? Or should I just record using my phone mic? And then ad to fil

I'm not sure what you mean by a Yamaha switch... maybe you mean an audio interface?

Ideally I'd recommend doing the work on your PC. You'd need an interface (to plug the mic into so you could record it to the PC) as well as appropriate software. The advantage to doing the recording on your PC is that you could add music to the background behind the voice, as you mentioned. The software usually will allow you to adjust the relative mix volume of each, and may even have a feature that will automatically "duck" the level of the music down when the speaking starts.

Another advantage to doing the work on your PC is being able to more easily do edits and corrections, which will reduce the need to "do it perfectly, all the way through" each time. For example, instead of having to speak through the entire message as you probably did in your example recording, if you make a mistake, you could just re-do the and edit in the sections where you fumble a bit, such as on the word "menu" in the line "...our menu options have changed", or when you said "stay on the line" which is understandable, but in my humble opinion is a bit "rushed." Software editing would also allow you to shorten gaps or long pauses in the dialog, such as the one between "at any time" and "to donate..." to make them shorter, but still natural sounding.

• Members

Hi, Thanks for writing.

What I meant was the Yamaha mixer for $99 at samash.

But I do get what your saying. I download an app on my surface pro 3. I can't remember the name off hand. I could ad a few rows of different audio at they play together. I could get a decent vocal voice over usb mic. If I want for less than $100. If I could get something much better for more probably yes. But I think for what I need it. As long as I keep it sharp and clear I'm good.

About my recording. I need to write down what I am going to say before recording. And be comfortable. The sample was just out off my head late at night half way laying in bed. ;)

[

QUOTE=Phil O'Keefe;n31513630]I'm not

sure what you mean by a Yamaha switch... maybe you mean an audio interface?

Ideally I'd recommend doing the work on your PC. You'd need an interface (to plug the mic into so you could record it to the PC) as well as appropriate software. The advantage to doing the recording on your PC is that you could add music to the background behind the voice, as you mentioned. The software usually will allow you to adjust the relative mix volume of each, and may even have a feature that will automatically "duck" the level of the music down when the speaking starts.

Another advantage to doing the work on your PC is being able to more easily do edits and corrections, which will reduce the need to "do it perfectly, all the way through" each time. For example, instead of having to speak through the entire message as you probably did in your example recording, if you make a mistake, you could just re-do the and edit in the sections where you fumble a bit, such as on the word "menu" in the line "...our menu options have changed", or when you said "stay on the line" which is understandable, but in my humble opinion is a bit "rushed." Software editing would also allow you to shorten gaps or long pauses in the dialog, such as the one between "at any time" and "to donate..." to make them shorter, but still natural sounding.

• Moderators

I think any microphone will be fine for your intended purposes as long as the microphone sounds clear, with little noise. I would also recommend using a pop filter if you haven't already been using one and also using a de-esser plug-in after recording. This will make the speech more clear and balanced. If you want a fuller sound then moving a bit closer to the microphone will help. For the best possible recording I would recommend you write down what you want to say first. Then practice and recording it multiple times until you feel satisfied with the recording.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello,

I'm back, smile.png

So we are setting up a auto attendant at work.And I want to take the opportunity to try to see if I could do the recording my self.

I had a writer do the script writing. I changed it around a little for this recording to keep it private.

I have the At2020usb+ I recorded a sample. I know I have to redo it in a quieter location. I live in the city and we have air planes flying over my house at least once every two minutes during the day.

I just want to ask you if you could please tell me what you think about my voice? style? speed? etc? what could be changed. Its for a charity organization.

THE LINK IS BELOW

So I need to keep the tone professional. But I don't want to sound boring. I do know I need to practice a little and be comfortable when I'm speaking. So it is perfectly fluent.

Any of you in to voice over? I'm wondering what your opinions are regarding, Speed of talk? if you put lite music in the back round or you think its a distraction?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Archived