Was I just born with a horrible voice?

DarenHo95

• Members

Hello,

I'm a college student studying Broadcasting; nothing really related to music & singing..

But singing is a passion I've always had, but I feel like no matter how strong this passion is.. I'm just born and cursed with a voice that sounds horrible?

I've taken singing lessons for almost 2 years (they aren't really helpful though... school's are kinda cheap. They're all like 'You're doing great'!) but I know it's just words so they can keep me there longer and make more money.

I'm pretty sure I have 70% of proper singing technique (diaphragm breathing, 360degree breathing, feet planted into the ground, relaxed throat [for the most part], etc.) but I can't seem to REALLY relax tongue/throat/larynx.. or maybe I just have a horrible voice to begin with?

I'm actually very embarrassed to put this up... but I really need help frown.gif

http://www.smule.com/recording/kelly...5583_133082825

It's a recording I did from the app "Smule". There's no effects to it, so it's pretty much raw. PERHAPS RAW & ROTTEN D:

Much help, pls ._.

Warm Regards,

Daren.

• Members

Sorry, Daren, when I click on the link, I'm not getting your recording, I'm getting an offer to buy an album by someone named Kelly Clarkson.

My advice: We all have different voices. It doesn't have to be pretty to be fine. Bob Dylan (one of the all-time most successful singers and recognizable voices), said: "I'm not trying to get myself across. I'm trying to get my songs across."

• Moderators

Hi there,

I can't really make a proper asessment of the vocal tone. It sounds like there's pitch correction/autotune effect on your voice. From what I can judge in terms of the energy level of your performance, the verse seemed a bit lacking. The diction sounded a bit unclear as well. I recommend you to go back and revisit this song without autotune.

• Members
Hello,

I'm pretty sure I have 70% of proper singing technique (diaphragm breathing, 360degree breathing, feet planted into the ground, relaxed throat [for the most part], etc.) but I can't seem to REALLY relax tongue/throat/larynx.. or maybe I just have a horrible voice to begin with?

Darren, I was born with a horrible voice, doesn't matter. Who you're born as doesn't mean anything. It's who you become that matters.

This isn't "70% technique". It's not about what you do but more about HOW you do it that matters.

Just taking a good breath doesn't mean much if you don't do anything with it. Many coaches claim they teach support but what they really teach is just "taking a breath".

At the moment you are completely under-singing. Way too soft. The only way you are ever going to learn how to build your voice is if you start to ENGAGE IT and USE IT. You cannot build resonance in this flute-like whisper voice.

You need to get with a vocal coach who has SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE not generic information and learn how to engage your voice robustly with good support. Then from there you can work on refining the sound.

Archived