I don't like my singing voice at all?

lauraDF

• Members

Hey! I'm new to this forum and I would really like some advice. I've been practicing singing for several months now (probably a year and some change) and my voice has improved a lot from what it was before. However, I feel like it's just not good enough. Other people have told me that I'm a good singer but I usually take compliments with a grain of salt because I don't like my voice at all. Sure, I can hold a note, but I feel like my voice is boring, one-dimensional, and pitchy in some sense, which is discouraging since I really really want to make a career in singing or musical performance. I play two and a half instruments as well.

Here's an example of my singing: https://soundcloud.com/lrdsflrs/american-cover

What are the good/bad things about my voice? Any suggestions or exercises that could help me would be much appreciated :)

• Members

Well the strumming is mechanical and that might be most of it but singing the double time figures as "on" as you do makes them sound very martial and hurried. Not in an unpleasant way - you do articulate with finesse. The figures need to breathe is all.

• Members

Hello Laura!

I listen to two of your songs. Personaly I like it, I like your voice. I'm not a technician, but what I can tell you is: I think we are a lot of singer who does not like our voice. I didn't like mine either (well, I'm still learning to know it, to work and appreciate it).

I believe it's part of a process.The difference between what you hear when you sing, and what the other actually hear, is not the same. So when you are facing your own voice, it can be "troubling", because you do not really recognize you. So I think it take time to recognize our voice, to know our voice, and later to embrace & love it. Well, sorry, I hope it made sense :)

Archived