Vocal type, different registers, etc.

sidthesquid

• Members

I just have a few questions about my voice type and what my different registers mean.

I'm a 15 year old male with a typical baritone chest voice vocal range from D2 (which I expanded to through practice) to a G4 belt, then it cracks. My chest voice seems to be expanding, but extremely slowly. I hit puberty a little more than 2 years ago when I was 13. I just want to find out what type of voice type I am. Am I a baritone, or will my chest voice keep expanding until I'm a tenor or such?

And then there's my falsetto. I can reach into my falsetto some days at certain times of the day. It is quite airy most of the time and sometimes I can't even sing in falsetto if I try. Now, if I try to reach "over" and "down" my falsetto, I can sing in this VERY strong head-like voice that sounds like a high opera singer. I can easily reach into the 6th octave with this, while my falsetto reaches into the 5th with strain. This amazing strengthened voice sounds very open-throat-ed, and I struggle to pronounce words with it, although it requires no strain whatsoever to go extremely high. But whenever I sing in this voice for extended periods of time, the voice sort of "covers" my falsetto, and I fail to sing in my falsetto for the rest of the day - my chest voice instantly jumps to this strengthened "head' voice through a very noticeable crack - even more so than the jump to my falsetto.

In general, what are all these ranges, what is this new head voice, and what type of vocalist would I be?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's very interesting how you sometimes struggle with falsetto, but can sing very high notes in a strong head voice without much strain and tension. It's definitely possible that this is your whistle tone. People typically only discuss whistle tone in the female voice, but I definitely think it exists in the male voice as well. It could also be some kind of mix voice or belt. Keep experimenting with this part of your voice (don't overdo it, of course) and see what you can do!

Also, don't get caught up with trying to label your voice into a category like tenor, baritone, etc. I never like the idea of assigning those voice categories to people. Every person's voice is unique and special, and can sing in many different ways. Especially since your voice (and entire body) is growing and changing so much when you're younger. The human voice actually doesn't fully mature until your late 20s or early 30s so don't try to sound like something you're not. Just sing the music that you love, and your voice will develop over time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree that it sounds like you are hitting your whistle register right there. I have a quite strong whistle register as well, starting at about B5-D6. I can slightly control where I cross over to whistle and where I mix registers because it overlaps with my head voice. My whistle tones go up to B6. I can squeeze out a C7, but B6 is easier. The lowest note I can sing is a G#3, the lowest I can hit is an F3, but it's weak and unsustainable. Everything from G#3 to that B6 is usable, but I can't sing words with whistle tones, just like you said. I can hit notes with it but forming words without the sound dying out and making a smooth transition from head voice to whistle is really hard.

I'm 15 as well, by the way. And a girl, obviously.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Lol, I'm also a boy, but year younger; 14 years old. I can whistle, but I can't find my falsetto yet. Haha, using my chest voice head voice I can reach A5? Im not sure. But I can hit high note with whistle, Emotions of Mariah by Ariana, I can hit the whistle tone of it. But not every time, sometimes my whistle sounds like flying eagle effects :3 . Lot of things to work out, ' just wanna share, I think we have the same case.

Archived