How do I develop a "breathy" mid range?

Venebales

• Members

I love singing in a soft, breathy style. I'm not the least bit interested in singing in the usual ways that just about everyone else does. I only do my own original songs, accompanied by one instrument, and the breathy style suits my songs and music perfectly.

I have zero problem singing this breathy way from the 2nd E below middle C, up to around middle C. I love the tone and it's more than loud enough for my purposes.There's one problem though. When I sing in this style in my upper mid range (middle C up to the G above middle C), it becomes difficult to use my breathy singing. I can easily go into a good head voice at A above middle C, and effectively sing right up to the E above high C. So my range is 3 full octaves, and the highs and the lows are no problem at all. I'm a 29 year old male.

I realize that the higher up you sing the less breath you must use, but I'd really like to find an effective way to maintain at least "most" of the breathy tone in that difficult mid range section. Singing in a non breathy way in my mid range is no problem at all ...... but I don't want to sing that way as it doesn't blend properly with my lower breathy notes (it kinda sounds like I have 2 different voices).

So, how do I effectively strengthen my breathy voice in its mid range? Thanks.

• Moderators

Hi there,

I wouldn't recommend overdoing the breathy sound/style. I think its okay to use it occasionally as a form of ornamental effect, but if you overdo it and use it as your primary sound then it might be hard on the voice. Over time breathy vocal production is known to cause swelling of the vocal cords. I think a better (and healthier) approach would to adjust your vocal color/resonance and add in more higher overtones, which will give off a more "airy" quality to the sound. Even if your intention is a stylized breathy/airy quality, when you go through a vocal exercise routine, make sure that you're always vocalizing cleanly. This will help keep your voice in shape.

• Members

I'm no expert singer but from singing lessons I've watched and tips I've received from my singer friends, you should never only sing in one register or with one type of vocal compression. Practice all styles so you can go anywhere with your voice freely. Train with a pro so you can become more versatile with your voice. Learn how to really have control over all aspects of your voice, it will make you a better singer in whatever sound you are pursuing

Archived