Raising the Chest Voice Ceiling

jw10

• Members

I want to sing higher in my chest voice. But whenever I try to get above like D4, I wind up kind of choking off. I know that my voice has alot more potential to sing higher.

Some Singers like Bruce dickinson, Dio, or Freddie Mercury seem to have no end to their chest voice range.

I want to be able to sing with that kind of power in the high ranges without flipping into head voice.

I know that in order to do this, you are supposed to keep your larynx in place, but I cannot seem to get it right. Please help.

• Moderators

There is actually a limit to how high a singer can bring up their chest voice. Many experienced and trained singers have very little to no audible break or change in timbre when they ascend from the middle to high range because they've learned how to blend their vocal registers (head and chest). Its true that you want to keep a stable larynx position but it should still move slightly as you sing. If you want to bring your larynx to a relatively low/neutral position then you must do it as you inhale and then maintain the position through using an open throat.

• Members

There is a technique called "Stretching Chest Voice" where, over a long period of time, you resist shifting into head voice as you ascend in pitch. It is difficult to learn, and must be done with proper vocal techniques, including proper breath support and avoiding straining. It must be done gently at first, and slowly, strength and stamina can be built in to this process.

The passaggio, which is the transition between chest voice and head voice, can be raised to a higher place in the scale through this process. This process can create greater range within your chest voice register, and can also pave the way for a more extended mixed voice range.

All the Best.

Bob

• Members

The passaggio is really annoying sometimes, isn't it? It's actually not always beneficial to try to keep dragging your full chest voice farther up in order to belt higher notes. Belting using a chest-dominant mix will produce a better tone with less effort, and will also keep your voice healthier in the long run. Mixing is using different combinations of chest and head voice where you allow your voice to resonate. Try experimenting with using different amounts of head and chest voice on the same or different notes. But never push yourself farther than what your voice can currently do. Doing this becomes easier the more you work at it.

For me personally, I find that it's easier to raise my larynx a little bit to get more of that "belty" quality that I'm going for. Try not to force your larynx to stay in a certain place, as that might create unnecessary tension. The voice needs to be free and relaxed in order to work properly. Placing your sound forward in your nose and cheeks, rather than back in your throat, can make your voice project easier. You should never have to force your voice to project. Once everything is working properly, your voice will belt with ease!

Hope this helps.

Archived