Tips for Singing Bon Jovi's Livin' on a Prayer?

Eddy27

• Members

I'm learning how to sing Bon Jovi's classic "Livin' on a Prayer" and I do fine but those high notes in the chorus are giving me some trouble. Any tips? I know I can just lower the key when singing but I'd like to learn how to sing the original in all its glory. I seem to get close but can't quite hit them. Is there a specific technique I can use to help me out? Thanks!

• Members

Hi, @Eddy27.

You're just going to have to train on those notes, especially if you want to sing them in mix or chest voice like Bon Jovi.

If you're singing the verses in chest voice, then you're already up to G4. Now you have to go a little further (actually a lot, if you haven't trained up to that point, yet) in order to sing the B4 and C5 in chest or mix. You will really need to push down on your diaphgragm to sing those notes without blowing out your cords. It takes a lot of support to sing notes like that without going into head voice.

I'll be honest with you. Those notes will sound totally wimpy if you try to sing them in head voice. No comparison to how they sound in full voice. That just takes a lot of training. The right kind of training. Training in taking the chest voice up to the higher notes. That kind of training takes time and is not so easy, but it is possible for those who want it enough to do the work it takes to get there.

No quick tips to learn to sing like that. Only the right training.

All the Best!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived