vocals/PA help

Basslord1124

• Members

My issue/question could probably apply to a few different forums but I'm going to post it here in this one.

Some background info....4-5 months ago I re-joined my father's band (I used to play in it when I was younger). I play bass as well as harmony vocals and just recently lead vocals on a few tunes. As time goes on I will probably be doing more lead vocals. My issue is that anytime I have done lead vocals with the band I can barely hear myself. Things were a little better last night when we played but still a little rough for me. I would feel much more comfortable singing leads (and probably perform them better) if I could hear myself better. But I got some things working against me...

1) this is actually the first time singing leads in a full band situation. I have sang lead stuff in church with no problems but that was on a smaller scale. Usually acoustic instruments (guitar/piano) small room, small PA, etc. Now I've got full volume band behind me, drums, electric guitars, etc. And that's quite the change for me when I'm used to singing in more low volume situations.

2) PA ...my dad is the one who set up the PA for the band.Now I don't claim to be a pro on running a PA but I know I have corrected some issues here and there when dad is running the PA. I think he tries his best for the time he can spend on it and makes it passable for at least what the audience hears. With that in mind I think the monitor mix suffers b/c both the drummer and myself can't hear anything out of the monitors. I'm going to address that with him to see if we can fix that. I know when I have sang leads the past few times we played, I actually am hearing the mains moreso than the monitors.

So anyways, that's my situation. I am hoping once the PA issue is fixed it might get easier. But also if anybody here has some thoughts/ideas/suggestions in terms of singing with a full volume band that is a newbie to it, I'd really appreciate it.

• Members

@Basslord1124,

I feel your pain. Bad monitor mixes can cause you lots of vocal problems from oversinging. Good monitor mixes can change the entire outlook of the band.

We just updated the monitor system that we use in my band. Talk about a night and day difference... WOW!!! We've never sounded better, and the audience said so, too. You wouldn't think that muddy monitors would be heard by the audience, but it's true, they do affect the overall sound.

You may not be able to upgrade your monitors, but you DO need to take a look at them and get the most out of them that you can.

If possible, have an Equalizer so you can emphasize the vocal range (upper midrange frequencies), yet still filter out any frequencies that may be causing feedback.

Have the monitor speakers facing front-to-back (the opposite of your mics) so that the monitors point the least possible into the direction that your vocal mics are facing. Have the monitor speakers as near to you as possible, so that you can hear them as well as possible with the least amount of volume possible, again so that you can hear them very well, yet trying to minimize mic feedback. Take out any muddy bass or low mids that don't help you to hear the vocals. Make them crispy in the upper mids and highs, but beware, because you don't want feedback.

The upper mids are what will help your ear to pick your voice out of the drone of instruments going on during the performance.

Test your monitors before turning on the main P.A. and see how much gain you can get out of them.

To avoid complaints about volume from the audience, we always run the monitor mix much stronger than we run the house mix. We like to hear the music loud and clear, but the audience may not. We get the best monitor mix that we can, and then bring up the mains just enough so that the vocals are at a nice, comfortable, clear level for the audience to clearly hear the voices/lyrics. Again, we emphasize the vocal frequency bands so that the vocals are not wrapped in muddy sound.

Poor monitor sound can cause you to go hoarse from trying to hear yourself. Don't go there. You may have to get the band to understand that they may need to reduce the volume they are playing at. That includes the drummer (I'm one). Everyone needs to play to the volume that the Main PA can deliver the vocals at an acceptable mix and volume to the customers. An onstage monitor mix is essential to keeping the band together and on-pitch without going hoarse or being frustrated all night.

A great mix, both out front and on stage makes playing and singing an absolute pleasure.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful to you.

All the Best.

Bob

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My issue is that anytime I have done lead vocals with the band I can barely hear myself........................

1) this is actually the first time singing leads in a full band situation. I have sang lead stuff in church with no problems but that was on a smaller scale. Usually acoustic instruments (guitar/piano) small room, small PA, etc. Now I've got full volume band behind me, drums, electric guitars, etc. And that's quite the change for me when I'm used to singing in more low volume situations.

2) PA ...my dad is the one who set up the PA for the band.............

So anyways, that's my situation. I am hoping once the PA issue is fixed it might get easier. But also if anybody here has some thoughts/ideas/suggestions in terms of singing with a full volume band that is a newbie to it, I'd really appreciate it.

My monitors have sucked for 25 years. It’s one thing when you are only playing an instrument but when you can’t hear what you are singing during a 4 hour gig, it is not a recipe for longevity.

Solution?

I started bringing my own powered monitor for my personal vocal and run a balanced line out from the monitor to the snake for their mains (and monitors) for my vocal. It's been a life saver.

No racks of EQ, no boards w/ shelving , no instruments taking up the sonic space, no drummers louder than the lead vocalist ..... I DO run to a "TC Helicon Voiceplay Live" for compression and pre-amping before I hit the powered monitor.

Many shows I use IEM w/ drum shields but when that is not available I am forced to use monitors.... with the same fruitless mix that you are describing. I've only been bring my own wedge the last couple of years and it has saved my voice as well as added extra quality control... yes it is ridiculous that I have to bring extra crap, but there isn't a rule that says I can't.

It's YOUR voice. Protect it.

• Members

In my limited experience, monitors are absolutely useless. They're either inaudible or just multiply the stage din. And they're deceptive: they either make me think no one can hear me, so I shriek when it's not needed (or wanted), or they make me think I'm blasting the room, so I back off and no one can hear me.

A better solution: earplug one ear or both ears - whichever works better for you. Your voice will be loud, clear, and natural.

Sometimes jazz players and musicians in very loud bands plug both ears. It actually helps them hear better. Some jazz artists have told me they use cigarette filters. It seems unsanitary to me, but I guess it's cheap. (After all they spend on instruments, I guess they don't have two bucks left for a pair of earplugs.)

Archived