Almost impossible to sing high notes at rehearsal space

mkorshikov

• Members

Hi everyone,

So, the story is... I rent a rehearsal room with some guys a couple of weeks ago. The room was pretty much a standard 10x12 well soundproof with a 4-piece kit, guitar and bass amps and 200W PA system. It was good enough to hear the whole mix, but the thing is I couldn't sing any notes after G#/A. I mean, normally in my bedroom I can easily sing any Nirvana/Led Zeppelin/Alice in Chains stuff, but when I tried to sing at that rehearsal room I couldn't put it out at all. It definitely had nothing to do with emotional constraint, but it seemed that I had a luck of air. I had the feeling that the kickdrum and bass amp were generating such a powerful low end and pushing so much air against me that I couldn't compete with it. It was a completely opposite to the time when I was rehearsing my vocals at one huge cathedral hall by myself and I almost didn't have to breath out in order to sing high notes, it was so easy to do it actually scared me.

So, my question is, does it have to do anything with acoustics or the amount of actual oxygen to breath in while singing, or just the overall level of all instruments in the mix and the ability to hear myself? Has anyone ever faced a situation like this before?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find any thread that seemed to help.

• Members

Doubt lack of oxygen plays into this at all. The room space will make a difference. If you are in a live room, do not stand in front of the drums. It is difficult to hear your voice and you might push it too hard. Did this happen after you were singing for a while? Vocal overuse?

Best advice is stand as far away from the drums as possible.

• Moderators

It might be an acoustics issue. If the wall surfaces are acoustically-treated to some degree, then it would result in a very dry or dead sound. If you're accustomed to using acoustic feedback to sing then it might take some time to adjust. Usually a bedroom is moderately 'wet' sounding, and a cathedral would be very live sounding. Its due to sound reflecting off of hard surfaces. If you're having trouble competing for volume with the drums or any other instruments, then you might need to get some in-ear monitors, or maybe rearrange the way you place your instruments, speakers, amps, etc.

Archived