Thoughts on my vocal concerns(maybe)

freedogg0

• Members

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some opinions on some potentially concerning things I've noticed about my vocal career.

Background:

-19 years old

-have low thyroid

-taking voice lessons/have taken from other teachers as well

-Last year I took over a job as lead singer for my church's contemporary band. We play every Saturday night(mostly).

-Also I have terrible dust allergies which as many vocalists will agree, is a singing nightmare

I started this job with rough ideas about the human voice and the importance of using good techniques, water, rest, etc. As the last year has gone on I've noticed some evolution in my voice specifically related to this lead singer performances that I love to do so much. Last fall my allergies were really bad and I developed a little itch in my throat below my larynx. It comes and goes no-adays but I thought I'd include this.

I know the importance of warming up and I always warm up for 20-30 minutes including mild humming/singing through different times through the day as well as a more applied 10-15 minute warm up before church service. When I warm up and properly use my mixed voice I've got a great range well beyond anything that we sing at mass. I also get super warm by the end of mass and everything just flows freely without any cause for concerns (I think).

But after we get done I notice that 10-20 minutes after the performance(not singing or talking much). I seem to become a little croaky in my talking voice. The weird thing is that my singing voice is still fine and warm. I have figured that the reason for this croak-iness is that by the time I'm warm my chest voice(where I normally talk) is on the back burner to my mixed/falsetto. Also sometimes if it seemed to be a harder night then my larynx might seem a little swollen, but no tenderness in my throat from touch or anything like that.

I wanted to ask if I had any cause for concerns here as far as vocal abuse. I figure maybe that I might sing longer that I should for the length of the service and maybe just suffer from a little fatigue. I try to compensate by resting(not singing/talking loud or much) for at least Sunday of performance. I've started doing cool downs which seems to help a lot. If anyone has any thoughts and could maybe help or put an end to my concerns that would be great!

Thanks and godbless!!

• Moderators

Hi and welcome,

It could be possible that you're maintaining a high range for too long. Sometimes singing too many high parts or exclusively singing high can cause a register imbalance. If you want to return your register back to your speaking pitch then try doing cool down exercises that start in the high register and finish in the low register, such as a high-to-low glissando. And if you're really concerned then go to a ENT doctor to rule out any serious vocal issues.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You are defiantly overusing your voice. While singing high and powerful sounds awesome and is fun, it also has a tendency to be very high pressure. If you aren't providing enough space for the resonance that pressure will sit directly on your voice, causing damage, usually it will improve in a week or so, but sometimes it could be much worse.

Try this voice lesson video course, it will help you get back to the basics. Just click on the link. While you are doing this, listen for any "delays" in your voice. (When you try to sing but it doesn't come out for a second or 2 and then when it does, it might sound squeaky or cracky.) If you have vocal delay, you might want to rest your voice completely, then get it checked out by an ENT if it does not get better with complete vocal rest in 3 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived