Opinions on a for fun recorded Christmas karaoke song

ThatDutchDude

• Members

Hi Guys and Ladies,

Let me introduce myself first as this is my first post on this forum. My nick is ThatDutchDude, from the Netherlands, male, 25 years old (since a few days)

I really never sing, I only sometimes sing when I am home alone, I am basically way too shy to sing in public. Yesterday i heard some Christmas songs on the radio including "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" covered by Michael Bublé, and i just love this song. Once i got home, i played the song again to listen at the lyrics, then i searched for an instrumental version on youtube, played this over my television, put my telephone on recording mode and tried to sing this song. I'm not sure if i even have the lyrics and notes right but once i listened it again, it did not make my ears bleed!

Now i've uploaded it on Soundcloud, and I am curious at what others think, do I sound terrible? or is it ok? Sorry for the accent, I’m not American so my European accent will be present.

Please listen and feedback, ohyeah ignore the crazy sounds I made in between and at the end, that’s just me trying to fill up when I realised that the sentence actually needed to be longer...

• Members

Prolly be all weekend before you get any more takers so I'll throw in my novice two cents. The rhythm is too precise. The rhythms are good but you hit the stagger too hard. The figures should hang in space; magically wafting over the pulse - not blocked on like Legos. Makes me think you might be a metal/prog guitarist ? :D

Anyway listen to Sinatra. Try Mel Torme's Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting...) and Lionel Richie for a more modern take on pop phrasing.

• Members
Prolly be all weekend before you get any more takers so I'll throw in my novice two cents. The rhythm is too precise. The rhythms are good but you hit the stagger too hard. The figures should hang in space; magically wafting over the pulse - not blocked on like Legos. Makes me think you might be a metal/prog guitarist ? :D Anyway listen to Sinatra. Try Mel Torme's Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting...) and Lionel Richie for a more modern take on pop phrasing.
Hehe some feedback finally, first of thank you for that! And no I'm not a guitarist or anything, I actually didn't do anything with music until I decided to upload something for fun and ofc to get some feedback. I will definitely look into Frank Sinatra and Lionel, I haven't sung that song to already insert my own pauses etc, i think that's the reason I sound to perfectly timed!

• Members

You should get a little closer to the mic, so there's less noise from the sound bouncing off the walls of the room you're in, and your voice will sound more intimate. That will also bring your voice up higher in the mix, which would help.

Your voice sounds pleasant, and I don't have any problems with your vocal timing. That's a matter of personal choice.

You had a little vocal wobble at 2;23 on "merry", but no big deal. Sounds like that's right at your passagio, and you weren't sure whether to sing it in chest voice or head voice.

The last "time" on the end started out flat and came up into tune. Notes like that, especially when they are solo, should start out on pitch.

Not bad on the whistling.

Pretty good job for a "for fun" recording.

Bob

Archived