Practice vs Know-how

kickingtone

• Members

A crazy thing happened yesterday. I was messing around exploring the extremes of my range, when I accidentally hit a G1, and it wasn't vocal fry.

It is amazing, considering that D2 is normally where my voice breaks.

And it wasn't a matter of my whole range being lower yesterday, I also hit my highest note ever, a D5#.

I don't have these notes "on tap", but it is a start.

When I break a "personal best" I never make the mistake of launching into celebration. I took the opportunity to feel, study and remember the coordination before it disappeared! Hopefully, that should make it easier for it to reappear in future and eventually become "on tap".

Anyway, it got me thinking, Sometimes, those special moments that deliver know-how are worth hundreds of hours of practice.

• Moderators

When I'm on a breakthrough with a certain concept, I'll try to repeat the sound as much as I can and try to ingrain it fully. Sometimes the use of imagery can also help you memorize a specific sensation. But if your training and practice is good and consistent then you'll bound to re-discover it as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

i remember the first time i managed to break through my bridge and achieve a passable mixed voice sound. I proceeded to sing all the songs that i couldn't sing before and ended up losing my voice for the next 3 days or so! and then when my voice came back i couldn't do it anymore.

But as Davie said, with practice it came back, because your body takes some time to remember. Congratulations to you.

• Members
But as Davie said, with practice it came back, because your body takes some time to remember. Congratulations to you.

Thanks.

Yes, this is so true. I actually rely on it and don't get disappointed if I show little progress on a.particular day. A moderate effort can feed your goal through days later.

PS. The G1 has come back, and I'm very close to producing an E5, just messing around (I don't have a daily schedule).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived