Feedback on my live singing please

zinzin

• Members

hey people, i am no singer, but i try my best. i like to sing my own songs 'cause i had not much luck with other singers singing my own songs ... here is a short video of myself doing a live acoustic version of own of my songs. i would appreciate honest feedback about my singing. thanks in advance.

here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnFnR3S32o

• Members

@zinzin

Keep doing what you are doing. You are doing a great job ESPECIALLY considering the DIY aspect. It would still sound good if you said you did it in a million-dollar studio. You have a quality to your voice that suits your tunes, and you are well within your comfort zone, vocally.

All the Best!

Bob

• Members

I was ready to be hypercritical. Very good vocals. You could open your mouth more, but then that would take away from some of the emotion that you expressed in your lyric. I would work on some of the lyric in the first verse, it feels a little forced in a couple lines, but I am one person.

The hardest kind of recording is dry, and that couldn't have been dryer (without effects). I thought you did great.

• Members
I was ready to be hypercritical. Very good vocals. You could open your mouth more, but then that would take away from some of the emotion that you expressed in your lyric. I would work on some of the lyric in the first verse, it feels a little forced in a couple lines, but I am one person. The hardest kind of recording is dry, and that couldn't have been dryer (without effects). I thought you did great.
hypercritical is good, honest views help me the most. i never sing live, only when recording myself, but that way i can repeat repeat repeat as long as i want. i am rather insecure when doing it live, one pass, warts and all. i hear that often that i should open my mouth more and that's true but by now i guess thats my way, i have a hard time singing with my lips cool and open ... its an easy song i know, pitch is not always my forte so i try ti improve step by step starting with easy melodies. you really shure that the "body" of the voice is ok? not to weak?

• Members

Your not-so-open mouth is something that could be criticized as non-standard, but it is a big part of what makes you sound unique. So if you want to sound more like somebody else, maybe you could do more of what others do. You have a certain unique style the way you are going about your voice that is likeable. I noticed your mouth, but thought that you would lose your most unique character to your voice if you change that, so why not keep it. It makes you more like you. You're into a thing that you seem to like. If it works for you, keep it.

If you open your mouth more, it will make your lows lower and lessen the higher midrange quality of your voice.

Kind of like if somebody told Ray Davies he sounds too much like that guy in the Kinks. What would be the point in that? Not everybody likes the way he sounded, but it worked for him.

Keep your style if you like it. I like it.

: ^ )

Bob

Archived