Morning voice - What happened to mine? :(

saqib09

• Members

Hi,

I don't practice and every month I go "you should practice you insufferable slacker". So, that's bit of a background for whoever would like to know. But it's not really important for the question in my opinion.

So... when you get up from sleep you have that low, heavy, and moist kind of voice (which is good for doing an exercise called the vocal fry I'm told). I'm gonna do a project and this finally is forcing me to practice. The way I'm going about working out my voice is trying to strengthen my low voice by way to doing a bit of warm ups and silly exercises in the morning. BUT....

I suddenly find that after I get up my voice sounds like I was talking and hadn't sleep. Where that low moist purr sound disappeared to? It must have something to do with good sleep and I've been forcing myself to sleep properly for the last 3 days and eat well. I haven't quite achieved that yet but I definitely slept more last night (I woke up this morning after nearly 7 hours of sleep). Why then I don't have that morning voice still?? Is it simply that I haven't slept properly (i.e. sleeping after 3 in the morning and waking up at 10/11) for a while? That sounds probable. How long do you think it will take for me to regain the natural low resonance and freshness that I used to have (sadly I don't remember losing it though). :(

Thanks in advance people.

• Members

@saqibb09,

Where do you live and what is the weather doing? Is it getting cold and people are running furnaces everywhere you go and also where you sleep? Your voice may be getting dehydrated. This is a time in the U.S. where a lot of folks have sinus and post-nasal drip issues irritating their vocal cords.

What has else has changed since this change has happened in your waking voice?

Bob

• Members
@saqibb09,

Where do you live and what is the weather doing? Is it getting cold and people are running furnaces everywhere you go and also where you sleep? Your voice may be getting dehydrated. This is a time in the U.S. where a lot of folks have sinus and post-nasal drip issues irritating their vocal cords.

What has else has changed since this change has happened in your waking voice?

Bob

It's supposed to be winter where I'm from. I live in Bangladesh and we are in a sub-tropical type climate. Lately the heat is getting stronger and stronger. So, today for example the temperature is 27 C (in American language that is 81 F, Google says). In winter time it can be as low as 12 - 15 (typically but we have had colder weather in recent years).

I sleep on my bed and there is an air conditioner just above my head. I keep it on during the night. I keep the temp at 20/21(20 C = 68 F), so that keeps the temp in the room probably at around 20 - 24. It makes the room less humid, but the weather here is extremely humid. Average humidity stands around 70 percent! So, I would think a little dehumidifying is actually very helpful. In fact I get a blocked sinus without air conditioning.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and write the reply. I really appreciate this.

• Moderators

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve. It might be helpful for you to post a sound clip and describe what is your intention.

You mentioned that you have an air conditioner placed directly above your head while you sleep. I would recommend against that. Constantly blasting cold air in your face can affect your sinus and throat. It's true it will cool the entire room and lower humidity, but most of the cold air goes to your face. If humidity is an issue then use a dehumidifier while you sleep, and only keep the air conditioner on while you're awake, then turn it off during bedtime.

• Members
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve. It might be helpful for you to post a sound clip and describe what is your intention.

You mentioned that you have an air conditioner placed directly above your head while you sleep. I would recommend against that. Constantly blasting cold air in your face can affect your sinus and throat. It's true it will cool the entire room and lower humidity, but most of the cold air goes to your face. If humidity is an issue then use a dehumidifier while you sleep, and only keep the air conditioner on while you're awake, then turn it off during bedtime.

I am very careful about the air conditioner. The AC has a set of blades/propellers that you can set to control the direction of the air flow. I set them so I don't get blasted with coll air. It cools the room.

My waking voice doesn't sound quite heavy and rested as it should be/used to be. I don't know if sound sample will explain that better.

Archived