Neck tension when singing

Regner Go

• Members

Hi I'm new here! As mentioned above, I need advices on how to avoid neck tension while singing, because my vocal coach told me that when I hit high notes I always tend to have neck tensions (particularly at the back part). Refer below for the characteristics of my voice. -Baritone -Rock -Deep and powerful voice -Fav bands: Coldplay, Imagine dragons (more on this), Bastille and some other alt. Bands. -Neck tensions usually occur when I sing Imagine Dragons songs such as Radioactive. -Gymaholic What my vocal coach told me: The neck tension that I've been experiencing is due to my trapezium muscle and he adviced me to stop working out that muscle and focus on the other muscles. Any thoughts ? ☺

• Moderators

Overworking the neck muscles will likely affect the voice. It has happened to me in the past and I wasn't able to get a clear tone for a couple of weeks. I had to lower the intensity on many exercises to get my neck to relax again. Issues with vocal technique can also cause neck tension as well, such as pushing chest voice and singing with a closed throat space. Or sometimes it could be as simple as a posture issue. You'll have to do some troubleshooting and find the main culprit causing it.

• Members

Hi, @Regner Go,

It's common for a lot of singers to try to "help" their voice by straining at muscles in the neck, because we associate the neck with the throat, and the throat with the voice.

Often singers will stress their constrictor muscles, which are used to swallow. The constrictors have no effect whatsoever on the voice, except that if you tighten them up, they will cause tension that inhibits the voice. Likewise, the digastric muscle can tense up when you are going for high notes. Again, this does not help you to hit a high note at all, but instead, all that tension can make it very difficult to ever hit a high note.

For the Trapezius to tense up is likely a similar issue. When you go for high notes, you must be associating the tension there as a necessity for producing the note. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If you want to tense something up when you're singing, don't do it in the throat. Instead, put that tension to work for you by using it to power your diaphragmatic support engine in your abdominal cavity. You want to oppose the tendency to blast the air out. Pushing down and resisting the rise of the diaphragm is a more productive way to channel your energy when going for the high note.

You want to relax your chest, throat, and neck when singing, and you want to resist the tendency to tense up when ascending in pitch. This applies whether you're a Baritone, Tenor, or any other vocal classification.

Powerful singing requires powerful support.

All the Best!

Bob

Archived