Should I bother getting singing lessons?

NathanJazzFan14

• Moderators

Hi Nathan,

Regardless of your skill level, if you're serious and passionate about singing then taking voice lessons would be a good idea. I had a listen to your clip, though it was a bit pitchy, you have a fairly good sound that you could build upon. Also try practicing along to a backing track or instrumental guide to hone in on that pitch. I think that might be helpful to you. How long have you been singing? And what are your musical/singing goals?

• Members

Sounds like you need to start with you. There's a great resource on Amazon called "The Voice Factor" - I just picked it up, recommended by a friend of mine - fantastic book for beginners and only $5.00. But deals with everything from your mindset to the core fundamentals of voice - all explained in easy to follow, plus you get a bunch of free tutorials. It also teaches you to get to know your voice and understand what it can do.. If you're at all interested, here's the link: http://www.amazon.com.au/Voice-Factor-Shower-Stage-Steps-ebook/dp/B00PG8QPHS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416046005&sr=1-1&keywords=the+voice+factor

Or you can search for it under amazon.com under The Voice Factor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Nathan,

I know this sounds a bit cliché-ish but If you have the drive and the passion and persistance you can do anything!!!

I listen to your clip and i agree with Davie.. A lil pitchy. Vocal chord are muscles. strengthen your muscles, helps you with control and then it can become easier to learn how to hit the proper notes and stay in tune when singing. Here are a few tips to singing in pitch:

Get ear training. You need to learn how to identify and match notes in order to hit the right pitches. Simply have someone play notes and then match them until you feel confident matching notes.

Focusing on the right frequencies. You might be listening to an undertone or overtone and matching it instead of the main tone. You may need to change the volume of overtones and undertones so you can hear the main tone.

Don't exhaling too quickly. If you breathe out too fast, your pitch will rise so you won’t be able to stay in tune. Control your breathing so you can hit your notes.

Learn to use your head voice and chest voice. Your singing voice originates from your head and chest, and you have to use both properly. For instance, if you are singing vowels, you need to use your head voice or the tone will go flat.

I have a few beginner students and they have over come some of the issues that you may be dealing with!

So keep on keeping On!

I have also have a FREE report that can assist you in singing.

I hope these tips can help you! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

While I do agree with the posters above, I must caution you that it won't be as straightforward as find a good teacher -> sing like pavarotti. I have trained under and am friends with good vocal teachers and bad vocal teachers. In the end the human factor comes into play. I'm sure you're aware that there are good and not so good doctors, engineers, musicians, etc.

Be prepared to choose the wrong teacher several times. Be prepared to trust the wrong teacher and form the wrong habits as a result. But if you stick with it, you will definitely find a teacher that suits you and you'll grow really fast from there. I myself am self taught, but I do take lessons to complement my education.

• Members

I have a counter-intuitive rule of thumb, "know your stuff before you take advice!"

Your basic experience is your own responsibility. You have to put in the legwork of listening to ideas and experimenting with them. A trainer can't ask all the right questions for you.

Ideas can turn into instructions (if you don't understand) or advice (if you do understand).

Once you understand ideas in the context of enough successful experiments and failed experiments of your own, those ideas can be weighed as advice, and your learning will be more resilient, more directed and more artistic

Otherwise, your learning could turn out to be a "drunkards walk", with ideas pushing you every which way.

Don't worry about forming "bad habits". Bad habits happen when you try to follow instructions with inadequate understanding.

A good golfer can demonstrate to you all types of bad swing, consistently, without danger of it becoming a habit, because he understands exactly what he is doing. On the other hand, a golfer who has learned by rote could end up confusing himself.

Archived