Beginner singer looking for feedback! Critism welcome!

blueberrydreams

• Members

Hi!

I'm new to singing (I pretty much got into it six months ago when I started learning the guitar) and would love constructive criticism on how to improve my voice and technique from more experienced singers. Feel free to be mean if necessary, I'm aware that my singing is far from prefect and I have no real technical training.

I'm not looking to become a professional; I just love to sing for fun alone and with my friends and want to improve my voice.

Here's my soundcloud and a few quick recordings that may give you a idea of my singing:

https://soundcloud.com/tiinamaria

Thanks if you take the time to respond! :)

• Members

@blueberrydreams,

You have an interesting voice. There are some things that you could correct that would help your voice to be more consistent.

Your basic voice sounds good. I would slow down the vibrato that you are using sometimes at the end of phrases. The fast speed of the vibrato can have a warbling effect that might sound better if it were at a more relaxed speed.

Towards the end of several phrases, you go a little flat in pitch. This may be due to insufficient breath support. Many singers run out of strength in their breath and give up towards the end of the line. That can make the notes go flat.

You have a break in your voice that happens a lot in the first recording. The break is between your lower voice (chest voice) and your upper range (head voice). You can teach yourself to go through this bridge without the yodel (break) and smoothly connect your chest and head voices. Some vocalists intentionally make their voice break, and maybe that's what you were doing. Even if it's intentional, it shouldn't be done all of the time, even just in one song. You can lower the volume of your voice and lower the air pressure. That will help you to practice connecting your vocal registers without breaking. Gradually you can increase pressure and volume until you are singing at normal volume.

Otherwise, your voice sounds good. So your assignment is: Learn to bridge smoothly, learn about breath support and use it, and slow down the vibrato. Those would be my suggestions. Also, monitor yourself to ensure that you are on pitch, especially towards the ends of phrases.

You really have a lot of songs on soundcloud.

Seriously, at times your voice really shines. You should get some lessons to help give you confidence and get you on a more solid track and consistently hitting the notes with the best sound.

All the Best.

Bob

• Members

Thank you very much for responding, I appreciate it! :) I agree with what you're saying, I wish I could get some vocal lessons but I realistically just can't afford that right now :/ Could you give an example where my voice is going flat so I could learn to avoid that and improve on it? I guess I do have a lot of songs there, I'm just looking for feedback etc. and the more songs means a higher chance of that (maybe) :D

• Members

Hi, @blueberrydreams,

You had so much music there it really takes a long time to listen to it all. I just did a random spot check to find a place or two where your pitch drifted a bit. It's not that bad, but it is noticeable to my ear. I listen to a lot of demos. These are the kinds of things you have to use active listening to monitor yourself as you sing, so that you can make corrections on the fly so that they won't become problematic. Good breath support and singing with a brighter tone can help to counteract this.

At 1:26 on the word "had" on People help the People the note goes flat.

In True Colors from about 0:25 to 0:30 the pitch wanders and breath support is inconsistent.

As I said before, there are a lot of things about your voice that are pleasant and interesting. Breath support for singing is something that will help your voice overall the most. It will help you with fine control over your pitch, as well.

All the Best to you!

Bob

Archived