Controlling the vibrato - Think Of Me

cirecovers

• Members

Hello everyone :)

I'm currently working my high voice. And I'm meeting some difficulties. Here is a recording of my last attempt to sing Think Of Me from the Phantom of the Opera.

(link uploaded below)

It's a bit shaky, and I have a hard time trying to control my vibrato...

If you have some tips on how to improve that part, I would be very grateful :)

Circé W.

• Members

Tips? I'm a drummer (this is actually me on drums ------> :music024:) and the guys here can be way more specific but for whatever its worth; Long tones. Sing along with recorded tracks but ignore the melody and sing long tones. It's a good start on improvising too since you'll be at least partially concerned with inventing parts that fit.

• Members

Just another vocalist/drummer's opinion, but here goes...

Breath support is crucial in singing, and a piece like this needs tremendous amounts of support. Without sufficient support, the voice will tend to wobble in pitch and also in general stability. The higher you sing, the more support is needed.

Also, vibrato should be a relaxation technique into a vowel. It's best used after a moment of non-vibrato sustained note. In other words, you singing the note for a moment and then relax into the sustained note and then begin relaxing into an easy vibrato. The vibrato actually helps you to resonate, to relax, and to sustain.

Your vibrato seems a little more mechanical and its onset is at the beginning of the sustained note, so it seems a more sudden on/off vibrato, rather than a relaxation/sustain. It's also a deep vibrato, which can make it a bit more taxing on the ears. In other words the pitch variation of the vibrato goes a little deeper (flatter) than is musically pleasing. The reason for this is that we vary the pitch as well as the velocity of the air when we use a tremolo vibrato. A deeper pitch variation is less taxing on the ear when it is done more slowly (chorale speed). At a faster (tremolo) rate, it begins to sound flat unless the pitch variation is lessened.

Also, in the bridge of this song, (at 1:25) your pitch got off-track by some small interval. From there it was like a train off the track by the amount that you misjudged until the next section of the song where you again got right back on track pitch-wise.

You have selected a difficult vocal piece to perform.

Good Singing to You!

Bob

• Moderators

Your vibrato isn't bad. Though your breath support sounds a bit tense, and might be affecting your vibrato slightly. In my opinion, when a vibrato is good, it doesn't need to be "controlled", its basically automatic. Once the breath is completely balanced then vibrato should come out naturally without trying to create vibrato. Make sure you aren't locking up your diaphragm and try to take in your breath as low in body as possible.

• Members

Good job on a super hard song!! I agree with Davie that your vibrato doesn't necessarily sound bad as much as it doesn't sound natural. I know that some vocal teachers will say to get rid of a vibrato or increase vibrato on certain songs, but I think a natural vibrato that just comes without thought of controlling it sounds the best. Other than that, there were definitely some parts where the pitch was off. But in general, you have a really pretty voice!

Archived