How can I sing like this?

nickspooner150

• Members

Hey guys, I've just begun my singing journey and need your advice. My goal is not to have an amazing, technical all powerful singing voice, but rather just something sort of unique so I can sing along with my guitar. The style I would sort of like to emulate is that of Ben Howard. If you don't know him, I'll post some links of him singing live. But yea, what I want to know is what style of singing is this? What should I be practising to lead me down the same road? How would you technically describe his singing voice? (so i could look up how do it myself.) Basically everything you can tell me about his voice smile.png

thanks a lot everyone!

• Moderators

In my opinion, I would not consider him a "technical" singer per se. He's more of the singer/songwriter crooning type of voice. His singing style is what defines his voice. If you're after a similar sound then I would pay attention and try to emulate his diction style. You can probably achieve a similar sound to his if you do.

• Members

He is singing in a very folky way, basically just using his own sound. He has good pitch and a lot of personality in his voice. Technically he is sound, without problems of support or tone. So if you want to be like him, just be yourself. Sing technically well, without pitch issues and keep it folky. He sounds good, it's a nice style.

You won't have to worry about singing in a lot of different styles or an impressive range. Just sound genuine and sound good.

All the best.

Bob

Archived