Thankfull for Input and advice

Flintsten

• Members

I have been playing guitar for while but never had the curage to go near a mic until recent.

Never had a lesson so i have probably developed some odd techniques.

The first song is "Metal" with clean vocals but i have recorded some songs in different.

Thanks/Flintsten

song:

• Members

You seem to be doing a good job at finding a voice for this music. In most cases the instruments are drowning out the vocals. The growl you are using in Firegods may destroy your ability to sing. That type of vocal distortion can hurt your vocal cords. It has undone many a singer.

You seem to have a lot of range and power, in what I can hear through the music. Your music is very intense. I'm sure that's what you want.

Don't be afraid of the mic. It's your friend.

Good singing to you!

Bob

• Members

Yeah, I listened to this one, too. I listened to all four of those tunes on that soundcloud page.

The vocals are so buried in the music that it's hard to give you much more of a critique. I don't hear any serious flaws in your vocal techniques rising through the mix. Don't get me wrong... The music is driving and sounds good loud, but for purposes of vocal critiques we kind of need the vocals to be a lot more predominant than you might want it to be in the final mix. When searing guitars and driving drums are blasting over the top of your voice it's a great sound, but no one is going to hear if you're a few cents flat or sharp, what texture is on your voice, if you're needing more support here or there... that kind thing.

These are really good recordings. It's very different music, but that's what makes the world interesting. You're doing good work.

Honestly, for vocal technique, scales on the AH vowel tell us a lot more about someone's vocal development. But that's not nearly as interesting as hearing someone's artistic masterpieces.

: ^ )

Bob

• Members

Thanks again but i wonder when you listen to any other artist or recording can you determin ther technique or is it just with mine you find it hard? I now i can analyse other singer in some whay on record but i cant translate what they are doing really in terms of belting distortion and so on. But need to learn more and perhaps take a lesson or 2 Cheers

• Members

I can't really comment much here as the genre is something I just don't listen to. To my the vocal fits the music, I don't hear anything that sounds wildly out of place. No missed notes or anything like that. I'd say keep doing what you're doing man.

• Members

Hi, @Flintsten,

When I listen to other singers I tell them the same thing if their voice is too low in the mix to hear the details... "In order to give you accurate vocal feedback, I need to hear more of the voice and less of the music." Then there's the other extreme where someone sings acapella and you have no music to reference. Then I tell them I need to hear some music in there for reference. Often acapella singers drift in and out of pitch slightly.

What I typically am listening for in a singing voice is diaphragmatic support, if they are using distortion then I am listening to hear if they are using a safe method or warn them if they are not, I listen for pitch accuracy, I listen for tonal quality, I listen for style, Vibrato, etc... the list goes on. In the case of your recordings I can only say that what I can hear sounds good, but it's so overpowered by the instruments that I can't really give you much in-depth feedback on any of the many aspects of a voice that singers normally strive for or study in vocal training.

Generally, demos submitted for vocal critiques need to have the vocals dominant in the mix so that the persons providing the critique can clearly hear the vocals.

All the Best!

: ^ )

Bob

Archived